Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im attempting to install linux for the second time and its proving to be just as difficult as the first. I originally tried Fiesty Fawn (iirc) on a dell desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Trouble installing Ubuntu (again)

Im attempting to install linux for the second time and its proving to be just as difficult as the first. I originally tried Fiesty Fawn (iirc) on a dell desktop and it gave me a ton of problems during the install, repeatedly freezing and restarting. I am now attempting to install 8.04 on a totally different computer and I am having similar issues.

I am installing on a Dell Inspiron 5100 with a 2.4ghz intel and 512ddr memory and a 15gb hdd. Last night the install failed twice both times it crawled through the 7 setup steps and then froze while loading the partition setup. There is nothing wrong with the hardware because, xp installed perfectly.

Is this a common issue or am I doing something wrong?

Also....I am looking to install the version of ubuntu that looks similar to windows and uses the compiz fusion 3d desktop, do i need to install KDE or Gnome?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You should probably go with KDE if you need something that looks a bit like Windows (or that can be configured to look like Windows). If Ubuntu does not work, have you tried other distros e.g. openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora etc.

Have you tried the alternate CD to do the install?

Ed: added link to download ... don't forget to check the alternate desktop cd box just below the start download link

Just Joined!

Arrow

I eventually got Fedora installed on the other computer but Ubuntu seems to be pretty popular and I would like to give it a try. I just can't figure why 2 different cd's being installed on 2 different systems would have the same problem. I just dl'd 8.10 so Ill give that a try tonight.

Just Joined!
    Ill search for that, whats the difference? i think i used the alternate on the last pc, this disc didnt specify alternate or live.

Alternate Installation CD has text based installer. It works fine in most machines having Graphics Card problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I finally got 8.04 and GOS installed, in both instances I had to use the live mode and choose the install option from that desktop. No other method worked. I don't have the 3d desktop option I was looking for but I assume I can add that package later.