Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, I'm new to ubuntu so I don't really know anything about it and am trying to learn. I always used windows xp pro. and I'm so tired ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

formatting problems

First of all, I'm new to ubuntu so I don't really know anything about it and am trying to learn. I always used windows xp pro. and I'm so tired of microsofts problems. I've got one 80gb hard drive with ubuntu installed, and one separate 80gb hd with XP installed on it, and one more 60gb hd that I need to format. I want to get my movies and music off of the xp h.d. and back them up on the 60gb, then run it along with the ubuntu h.d. So how do I format the 60gb to a file system that will run alongside ubuntu or xp? I tried to format it to fat32 but i dont think it worked correctly. I need help!

Just Joined!
    pretty much i need to figure out how to format a hard drive correctly using partition editor in ubuntu.

You can use GParted Partition Manager to format partitions. Its available in Ubuntu LiveCD. Boot up from Ubuntu LiveCD and look for GParted in Menu.

Ubuntu supports both, FAT32 and NTFS. I would suggest you to format in NTFS only. You can enable NTFS read/write access through ntfs-3g package easily.
    I tried to format it to fat32 but i dont think it worked correctly. I need help!
    Post the output of sudo fdisk -l command before formatting partitions.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First