Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need help! I have broadcom 4311 and i can't connect to a wireless network on Ubuntu!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to connect to wireless network on Ubuntu

Need help! I have broadcom 4311 and i can't connect to a wireless network on Ubuntu!

Just Joined!
    Is this of any help?

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/interne...onnecting.html

You can do it manually from the command line, assuming you have network tools for linux installed. Know the name of your wireless connection: mine is ath0, so I'll use it in this example, but you have to replace it when you type these commands with the name of your wireless connection. Note that most or all of these commands require you to be in root, so use sudo or su, or login to root. First startup the connection with ifconfig:

Code:
    if config ath0 up
    then check for the wireless network you want to connect to:

Code:
    iwlist ath0 scan
    This displays all of the networks your wireless card can reach. Once you've found it on the list, remember its essid. Now to log onto it, type

Code:
    iwconfig ath0 essid (network code) key (WEP key, only needed if it's WEP encrypted)
    Now startup the connection with

Code:
    dhcpcd ath0
    If it says that the server is timed or the connection isn't working type 'dhcpcd ath0 -kill' and then retype 'dhcpcd ath0' until it works. To double check the connection, you can ping some website that's always up like google:

Code:
    ping google.com
    Let me know if this works.

Just Joined!
    It Did Not Work!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    What didn't work, specifically? Did any networks show up at the 'iwlist...' command? Also, was the link of any help?

Just Joined!
    When i click network manager nothing comes up and when i enter the commands an error occurs somthing like that! But when i click connection information its say 802.11 wlan0~ So is my card installed into Ubuntu!

Just Joined!
    What exactly did it say in the console after you typed each command in? Copy-paste it into your reply.

Just Joined!

hi

I unable to do that because i not connected to a network in Ubuntu! I am using windows and Ubuntu!
    Waait this is what it say When i enter iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 no wireless extensions.

eth0 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID: Nickname: Not-associated
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Just Joined!
    OK, it looks like your card may not be identified after all. 802.11/wlan~ sounds like the default--I assumed ubuntu just named your card the default, although that may just be a placeholder. I don't know. You can take a few steps to figuring out what exactly isn't working in ubuntu, the steps are laid out here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/interne...eshooting.html

I would follow the steps in each system and then try the internet. It may not give a blatant indication that it's been fixed after following the steps either, when I finally got my wireless working I thought it was still broken until I actually opened up firefox and got google open.