Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Kubuntu under a dual-boot on my laptop to try it out. I like what I see, but I never intended to keep in on my system due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Removing Dual-boot?

I installed Kubuntu under a dual-boot on my laptop to try it out. I like what I see, but I never intended to keep in on my system due to disk space, and it caused at least one problem on my laptop that I can't seem to fix. How do I remove the dual-boot and go back to WinXP only?

(Don't worry, I'm definitely installing Kubuntu on my desktop once I get it up and running )

Boot up from Windows XP installation CD and select repair. Execute Fixmbr command at repair prompt. It will remove GRUB and Windows XP by default.
    Boot up Windows XP and type diskmgmt.msc in RUN Dialog box. Partition Management Tool window will pop up. Delete partitions marked as unknown and create new.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Is there any reason why installing Kubuntu 8.04.1 as dual-boot would cause my touch-pad mouse to lag? Every few seconds, it stops moving, then "catches up" to where it would have been after about a second. Does it under both OS's now. Really annoying. Never had this issue before installing Linux.

Still does it now that Kubuntu is uninstalled, and I'm back to just a single OS...could it be a driver issue?

Does it under both OS's now.
    If problem is in both OSes then its a Hardware problem only.
    Anyways, post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here. Let us check if anything wrong there.

I was just wondering because it only happened after I installed Linux. Also, my computer is randomly turning off now. I've just recently re-applied thermal paste, and the computer isn't necessarily hot when it happnes, so it's not a heating issue...could just be my computer going south. It's pretty old.

How much RAM do you have? First of all, check RAM sticks. Try to replace those for a while and check if problem remains.

512 SD, upgradable to 1G. Pretty hard to find standard SD notebook RAM now. I started the Memcheck program packaged with the distro, but it shut off less than halfway through. I'll install new RAM and get back with results.

Just Joined!
    A friend of mine had a problem like this sometime back that had to do with a windows update. There was an update that did something weird with a sound driver, and the end result was that the computer would just randomly shut down and the intervals became shorter and shorter.

He did a reformat and reinstall, but I'm pretty sure he could have solved the problem by removing the defective driver, updating windows, then reinstalling the driver. At least that's what I read has worked for some people when I did a google search.

Sorry to everyone for the off-topic post. I just thought this comment might help.

Well, I have to say that it really does look like my RAM is bad. After a reformat and fresh re-installation of WinXP, the performance has gotten really bad. Firefox is lagging now :/

But apparently, they just don't make standard SD RAM for latptops anymore...so I think it's about time to retire my 5-year-old laptop...

At least now I know the only thing Linux is guilty of is being the last straw for a computer on the edge