Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
i am running a new acer laptop which has vista on it (please on't hate me) and windows is almost all i know. i have use linux before but not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Complete n00b and need help, please

i am running a new acer laptop which has vista on it (please on't hate me) and windows is almost all i know. i have use linux before but not installed it ever!

so here is my problem.
    i have downloaded ubuntu 8.04 lts and wish to run a dual boot system along vista as i am still a big gamer (once familiar with ubuntu i will try using wine). i have read through alot of the help threads but alas the general language is almost foreign as i don't know many linux terms. i have the isk ready to go, all i really need to know is
    1. what do i really need to do in terms of partitioning (i have a 250gb hdd which is currently split into C:/ - 111gb & D:/ - 108gb) collectively i have around 53gb of space left and vista is already installed.
    2. i was reading somewhere that ubuntu automatically produces a dual boot screen once installed and was wanting to know if this is true??
    3. i downloaded ubuntu from their site and wanted to know if gnome comes with it and installs along side the base so i have very little to do with the text base side of things.
    4. i'm a sucker for features and want to add compiz-fusion to gnome and was wondering how easy it was
    5. anything else i need to know woul be great

please help me as i don't want to be trapped in microsofts hell hole for ever
    thanks.

1. what do i really need to do in terms of partitioning (i have a 250gb hdd which is currently split into C:/ - 111gb & D:/ - 108gb) collectively i have around 53gb of space left and vista is already installed.
    Personally I would setup something like the following
    C: 111 gb (untouched)
    D: resize to 98 gig
    Linux / 8 gig
    swap 2 gig

I would then save files to the D or C drives when in linux so when you are in windows you can see them easily. And you have a bit of room to play with for linux, though you will have to be careful as it's not a great deal.

2. i was reading somewhere that ubuntu automatically produces a dual boot screen once installed and was wanting to know if this is true??
    The installer give you an option to install grub (bootloader) and then to select other operating systems installed on your pc.
    In you case windows. Then when you reboot you have the option to select ubuntu or win.

3. i downloaded ubuntu from their site and wanted to know if gnome comes with it and installs along side the base so i have very little to do with the text base side of things.
    Ubuntu will install gnome by default. You dont get to select packages through the install, all that is post install.

4. i'm a sucker for features and want to add compiz-fusion to gnome and was wondering how easy it was
    Compiz is easy to setup. You need to have your video card drivers installed. If you are using Nvidia you will get a restricted driver option that will download and install the drivers. Once that is done you can then just use compiz.
    You will most likely want to install 'advanced desktop apperances (or effect) through synaptic.
    System > admin > synaptic package manager.

5. anything else i need to know woul be great
    Be paitent. Linux is not windows.

Just Joined!

Smile wicked

thanks mate

i will try that tonight, you guys are bloody legends

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

also

also wondering if the disc doesn't work can i install it through daemon tools???

I have never tried an install through daemon tools, so I don't have an answer there for you.
    I have normally found the Ubuntu disks to be quite good. If you have issues first step is to re-burn at the lowest speed on your burner and test the media.

Just Joined!
    cheers mate

does ubuntu support blu-ray, my drive is a blu-ray reader (also dvd/cd) and if it does thats just gonna make my day!

The drive itself shouldn't be an issue. Esp in regard to cd and dvd support. With blu-ray movies heres a little link for you. I could only see movies being a little bit of a pain but anything else should be good.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD

Hello DrAgOnNz!

I'm going to suggest something different from Geeth. Downloading and iso and burning a CD was the only way to install Linux until a few months ago. Now you can install Ubuntu and its derivatives (Kubuntu etc) with Wubi. The advantage for you is that it's so much easier. The way it works is that you download the .exe to your Windows desktop, double-click the icon and follow the instructions. In other words, it's exactly the same as installing anything else in Windows. When you've done, you re-boot the machine and you should have the option to boot into Ubuntu. Easy, eh? If you decide you don't like Ubuntu, you uninstall it via the Windows Control Panel. But, of course, you'll want to keep Ubuntu, won't you! The only downside to this method is that the performance of Ubuntu is likely to be slightely impaired. This is because Linux isn't meant to be run in a Windows file system (NTFS), it prefers ext3, Reiser, jfs...However, this method does give you a way to get into Linux the easy way, to try it, get the feel for it and access it. If you decide you like it, then I advise you to install it via the live CD.

Good luck!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    thank you very much guys

i have yet another question
    whats the best app to re-partition my drive as i just realised i dont have a suitable app for it. free would be champion as i'm just a poor old student

If you decide to use Wubi, you won't need to re-partition your drive. Otherwise, you can use Gparted, which you'll find on the Live CD (I think). However, if you install with a CD, part of the process involves re-partitioning your drive. Just choose "Guided partioning". If you decide to install with the CD don't forget to 1) Save all your data on a separate hardrive, DVDs 2) Degragment your drive to squeeze all your Windows data to one place. Note that these precautions are not necessary if you use Wubi.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast