Find the answer to your Linux question:
I cannot succeed in installing Ubuntu. In another thread, the consensus seemed to be that I had a bad CD. My CD was from Canonical, but they said that Canonical ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Supposedly bad CDs

I cannot succeed in installing Ubuntu. In another thread, the consensus seemed to be that I had a bad CD.
    My CD was from Canonical, but they said that Canonical sends about 1 bad CD every 20 or so. They also said I should create a CD at slowest speed.
    I used ImgBurn to create a CD at the speed of 1. The CD was verified as good.
    Trying to install I still get the same problem.

I'm very sorry that nobody knows what the problem is.

This is the error message that I get:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1: 1.1.3-5ubuntu2) Built-in commands
    (Initramfs)
    ...wait 5 minutes, then series of error messages

[412.464377] usb2-2: device not accepting address 2, error -71
    etc. etc. etc.

(I am not trying to harass you people, but I suppose my problem is "unique", and none of you know what that message means. Is there any other place where I could get information?)

Gilles (gilch)

are you able to download your own version and burn it (ie do you have broadband?). If you do there are a couple thing sI would recommend to anyone having unique install issues:

1. Try the alternative cd
    2. Try Gutsy Gibbon (older version of Ubuntu)
    3. Try another distro

Unique problems are hard to pinpoint but burning at 1X is not necessary. I usually burn at "slow" speeds which are 8-12x. Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Yes I have broadband, and downloaded several times and created at least a dozen of CDs.
    The last one I tried was the Alternative and IT DID WORK and scared the s... out of me because it was ready to partition my drive. I was not ready for that I wanted to install it (safely) with dual boot with my VIsta. So I stopped everything, and will start reading anything on Alternative if I can find some... right now...I'm sleepy...
    Thanks. Will try something tomorrow. But I am happy: something has worked !

Gilles

Just Joined!
    oh you got one to work? awesome!, late lastnight i tryed one more cd, and it actually worked for me! lo and behold, its running like a champ now, i love it!

but now i need help with something else....installing ATI video drivers, lol

for the video driver I believe it should just be in your restricted drivers. Go to system --> administration -->hardware drivers. See if it's listed. If it is just check enable, it'll auto download and enable, reboot and you'll be good to go

Just Joined!
    thank you very much =D

made my life about a million times easier

also, if i have the correct video driver chosen and installed, will i then be able to enable effects and stuff like that in appearance? because without them, it wont let me choose any effects whatsoever

depends on the driver itself but most likely yes. For Compiz effects you need 3d acceleration. For the cooler effects go to package manager, (system, administration, synaptic package manager). Search for compiz settings. It will come up with a list, install the compizconfig-settings-manager. After that is installed you'll be able to go to system, preferences, advanced display settings (or something like that). In there you'll find a ton of options. Hope this helps