Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, I have got as far as getting the thing (the NVidia Install .run file) to run at all in a Level 3 session (I don't really understand what that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

n00b: Problems installing NVidia Drivers

OK, I have got as far as getting the thing (the NVidia Install .run file) to run at all in a Level 3 session (I don't really understand what that is, I've just been told I need one). BUT - when I run it, I get an error that glibc is not installed and to install the libc or kernel sources for my distro. When I look in Synaptic, there are literally hundreds of things which could match those names and I have no idea which one to choose.

Can anyone give me a pointer please?

Go to,
    System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

You will have a list of devices that have need restricted drivers and you video card should be in there. Tick enabled and it should download the right driver for you.

Linux Newbie

8 and flashplayer

Hello I'm using 7.10, and as most of you know, trying to install flashplayer returns messages like : ABSOLUTLY WILL NOT be supported by ubuntu team . and Cannot find... I have no problem running flash in an old laptop on xubuntu oddly enough, so I'm wondering if upgrading to 8...what ever it is now, is the answer, or trying to find an old version of flashplayer. thanx.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeth View Post
    Go to,
    System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

You will have a list of devices that have need restricted drivers and you video card should be in there. Tick enabled and it should download the right driver for you.
    I did that - but I was given to understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that doing that simply downloaded a "non-native" (i.e. open-source) driver and not the official NVidia one. I was, therefore, under the impression that I would be better off with the official NVidia one, and I have been having an URGH time of it. Was I misinformed?

Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    Hello I'm using 7.10, and as most of you know, trying to install flashplayer returns messages like : ABSOLUTLY WILL NOT be supported by ubuntu team . and Cannot find... I have no problem running flash in an old laptop on xubuntu oddly enough, so I'm wondering if upgrading to 8...what ever it is now, is the answer, or trying to find an old version of flashplayer. thanx.
    I think you're probably in the wrong thread - go to the main forum page and click the "New Thread" button at the top left.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonelaughter View Post
    I did that - but I was given to understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that doing that simply downloaded a "non-native" (i.e. open-source) driver and not the official NVidia one. I was, therefore, under the impression that I would be better off with the official NVidia one, and I have been having an URGH time of it. Was I misinformed?
    I am not sure if it is the offical nvidia drivers. I am pretty they are though.

I have an 8800 GTS and that is the method that I have used for the install and it plays games fine and is stable.
    Closest issue I have come across is with power management turning off the monitor, it doesn't display properly until I reboot.

But I just turn off the monitor and disable the feature and I haven't had issues since.

OK thanks very much - I'll just stop messing about then

Last thing I want to do is mess up my system; although I have managed to find things like kernel source code etc which I would not have done otherwise.