Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hi there! I just wanted to say a couple of things here, although I can't really help you myself. Your experience with Ubuntu very much reminds me of my first ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi there!

I just wanted to say a couple of things here, although I can't really help you myself. Your experience with Ubuntu very much reminds me of my first intrepid steps into Linux, two years ago. There were times when I was really pulling my hair out with it! But stick with it: it's worth it, it really is. Just remember that with Linux you often have problems that you won't have in Windows because 1) Windows is pre-installed and, most importantly 2) Constructors make their hardware to work with Windows. Period. Sometimes they throw a bone at Mac users, but rarely do they even consider Linux. Most of the drivers that make hardware work on Linux machines have been written by volunteers, and not by the manufacturers. They do do a sterling job for the most part, but sometimes stuff will require a bit more effort to get going under Linux than under Windows. Rest assured though: most hardware will work under Linux, although not without effort sometimes.
    One more piece of advice: concentrate on one problem at a time. This thread is all over the place with your various woes, which is fine but if you try to deal with all these problems in one go you're not going to get anywhere. You're in good hands here though: devils casper is excellent help.

Good luck!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Just Joined!
    devils casper: I typed "grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf" into terminal again and the output was the same as before, just those two were listed (kbd and mouse)... no nvidia.
    BTW, Thank you so much for your help so far

and Manchunian! That was one of the things that kept me away from Linux so long (lack of hardware and software support) but I've learned so much more about it now and I think dualbooting won't give me any worries there. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be loving this in no time!

I typed "grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf" into terminal again and the output was the same as before, just those two were listed (kbd and mouse)... no nvidia.
    It means Nvidia Driver has not been installed yet. Does your machine's has internet access now? iirc, Ubuntu downloads drivers from internet through Hardware Drivers.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I'm sure I'll be loving this in no time!
    Yes, I'm sure you will. When you see how much faster Linux is, and when you discover the joy of surfing safely without a virus checker, spyware cleaner and all the other crap you have to use Windows with...not to mention never having to do disk degfrags, paying for upgrades when Windows desires you to...you'll really, really be loving it! By the way, when it comes to hardware recognition, Linux is much better now than it was. Most people now can just install it and everything works out of the box. You're unlucky!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2