Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay... I see all these cool themes and such, but I've read that I need to go to system, preference, appearance and enable "Extras" ... Hm .... It pops up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Newbie. Appearance, graphics card, just problems everywhere! Ubuntu / XP dualboot

Okay... I see all these cool themes and such, but I've read that I need to go to system, preference, appearance and enable "Extras" ... Hm .... It pops up some message about how it can't enable extras at this time.

So. I know I need a good graphics card to use all that cool stuff, so I spent some time trying to figure out on XP which graphics card i have ( I can't get on my dlink internet when I boot up on Ubuntu, that's issue #2 if you can help click here! ) Anyways, Device Manager does not have a Display Adapter button. Curious... System Information says absolutely nothing about a display adapter. So. I go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Adapter. Absolutely nothing... there is nothing listed, and under "Adapter Information" it just says "Unavailable" five times. So I click Adapter Properties. "VgaSave" ... so i wiki that and learn that that's Window's default when the graphics card isn't working.. or something. Under device type, it says "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and the rest says "unavailable" (if that helps anything)...

This is a nice computer with 200g on the C drive and various other upgrades, but it is from 2002, used once by my computer illiterate grandpa, and put up until now. Why shouldn't there be a graphics card working??

If anyone has any information that could help me out, I'd love anything...

Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    okay, will do right now, be back in a sec ( i'll have to reboot into ubuntu )

Just Joined!
    OK, entered sudo lspci | grep -i vga and got
    "00.05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia corporation C51G (Geforce 6100) (rev a 2)

and entered grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf and got
    "Driver "kbd"
    Driver "mouse""

Just Joined!
    I don't know much about getting video drivers to work on linux, but a quick google search of "ubuntu geforce 6100" got me this tip:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and check the box to enable the restricted drivers for your nVidia card if the option is provided.

Hope it helps.

You have to install Nvidia Proprietary Driver as suggested by Taltos. Hardware Drivers option is available in latest version of Ubuntu only.
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Just Joined!
    8.04, the newest.
    I'll try that and let ya know if it works, thanks!

Just Joined!
    Okay. I went to System, Administration, Hardware Drivers just like you suggested and no dice. I mean, the nVidia driver was listed there (nvidia new is what it said) and "Enabled" was already checked, but it said something to the right of that about ( and I can't remember the terminology for the life of me) being unable to use or something to that effect with a red circle... I unchecked Enabled and ReChecked it just to see, restarted my computer, and still no change. I then went to take a screenshot just to make it easier to show you guys but having no internet, I tried to save it onto a flash drive when I discovered yet another problem...... for some reason I can't open any usb drives! It just says error (even on a brand new one)...

So. I was thinking, with the internet problems and this and that, maybe I just have a really messed up version of Hardy Heron... but I mean, it passed the whole check thing that you do when you download it... and I installed it from a bootable USB I made according to one site's how-to...

Gosh, any ideas?!

And thank you all so much ....

Just Joined!
    Hm.....

I am on another thread here trying to figure out my internet connection, and in doing so I discovered yet ANOTHER problem (but minor); the printer prints blank pages (even though it works fine in windows) ... Just thought I'd add it to this list and ask: are all these problems typical with setting up Ubuntu? I mean, once I've got internet and it's all working fine I'll be happy, I'm just wondering.

Thank you guys

PS
    On boot it says kernal 2.6.24-16-generic.. the guy in the other forum needed to know that so it may help here =)

Execute this code again :
    Code:
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Does it list nvidia in output?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast