Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am building a new box from scratch (Deb and/or Ubuntu) so I'm trying to make it as Linux friendly as I can. I have spent much time Googling, looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yet Another Hardware Compatibility Question

I am building a new box from scratch (Deb and/or Ubuntu) so I'm trying to make it as Linux friendly as I can. I have spent much time Googling, looking at hardware compatibility sites, user forums, etc. Much of what I find is, however, not so up-to-date.

My purchases so far have been

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0 GHz Processor
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Green nVIDIA Socket Am2 ATX Motherboard
    4GB kit (2GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

So far, so good.

My issues are
    Hard Drive
    Graphics Card
    Video Capture Card (MythTV)

Western Digital hard drives were my preference back in my Windows days, but they don't seem to be very Linux friendly from what I can tell. I don't have much experience with the other big names (Seagate, Maxtor, Lacie, etc). I have found a couple of WD drives listed as Linux compatible but they are smaller drives than what I need. With MythTV I don't want to have to worry about capacity so I need at least 750MB, preferably 1TB.

For the graphics card I am looking at

ASUS EN9600GT TOP/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Nvidia seems to be the card of choice for Linux, but I see so many sites with so many people with so many driver issues... I could just use some suggestions as to the best card in the $100-$150 range that people out there have had the least headaches with. I would also appreciate comments as to using open source or proprietary drivers.

For the video capture card I am looking at

pcHDTV HD-5500

though I see people having problems with this one too.

Anyway, any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

thanks...

oz
    forum.guy
    I only use Western Digital Hard drives and have never in 8 years of using Linux had any issues with them.

I have the 9600 GT video card (but a different brand), and no problems at all with Linux. In fact, I've never had troubles with any nVidia card under Linux.

I don't use a video capture card so can't answer on that.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Your config is almost like mine:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...pc-thread.html

Western Digital hard drives were my preference back in my Windows days, but they don't seem to be very Linux friendly from what I can tell.
    ???
    Never heard any probs with hard drives related directly to WD. /me prefers Seagate drives for their unbeatable durability

I need at least 750MB, preferably 1TB.
    Finding 750 mb will be pretty problematic these days
    Doesn't it will be cheaper to buy 2x512gb hard drives than 1TB one?

ASUS EN9600GT TOP/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
    nVidia plays great with Linux. Go for binary driver if you want full performance on your card.
    For the video capture card I am looking at
    Never captured video. Can't help, sorry.

Regarding your CPU. Why don't you consider buying Phenom? It has almost the same price as dual core processor yet has 3 cores.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close