Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I just installed the new KDE on my Ubuntu (Gnome) machine...just installed the kde4-core package. I'm having some issues (and have been told that kde4 has some glitches) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE4 + Ubuntu

Hi All,

I just installed the new KDE on my Ubuntu (Gnome) machine...just installed the kde4-core package. I'm having some issues (and have been told that kde4 has some glitches) but figured I'd check it out and see what all the fuss is about. So I'll do it one problem at a time.

First minor issue, I can't add more than 2 virtual desktops. When I right click the icon and go into the settings for it I change it to 4 but it goes back to 2 right away. This is a pain for me as I use the cube effect and use each side for different applications (music player, thunderbird, firefox, and other stuff). I've installed it twice now with the same issue both times.

Second issue, when I logout of kde4 (with control+alt+backspace) sometimes it restarts my machine (never does this in gnome).

Third, when I logout of KDE and it goes to the login screen I have to enter my information twice (login and password). I enter it and push enter, it starts to load then goes back to my login screen, when I enter it a second time someimtes it goes into kde, other times it seems like it's in an infinite loop.

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Rather than install KDE4 on Ubuntu, have you tried the KDE4 version of Kubuntu?

I think you'd have better luck with it, as they've probably fixed some of the bugs that come with KDE4.
    oz

kde4 is really buggy at the moment you might have to wait for kde 4.1

Linux Guru
    I agree with ozar, the builds in the repositories are quite old and were never much use for anything other than a preview. Just remove the packages you have now (as they are a different build to the latest kubuntu ones) and follow the instructions at this page

KDE 4.1 RC 1 Released | Kubuntu

Thanks for the advice...I'm not willing to leave Gnome though, I've always felt it was better than KDE, I just wanted to take a look at KDE4 since I read that there have been a lot of changes. I guess I'll just wait for KDE4.1 so I can get past some of these bugs....they are pretty annoying. Even with the upgrade I still find gnome much more to my likings (personally). I used KDE with Fedora 4 a few years ago....but quickly switched to Gnome after I used it with Ubuntu.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    I just wanted to take a look at KDE4 since I read that there have been a lot of changes.
    Not certain, but I think there's a KDE4 version Kubuntu LiveCD that you can use to get a good look at KDE4. Using the liveCD to check it out shouldn't mess up your Gnome setup so much, either.

Hope it works out for you.
    oz