Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I am trying to understand all this, but when I try to download from Brother, nothing happens. Can I do this from the command line? I really need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Print Driver for Brother MFC 420CN.

Hi! I am trying to understand all this, but when I try to download from Brother, nothing happens. Can I do this from the command line? I really need to get this printer up and running. The HardwareSupport link says it can. But HOW! I am new to Ubuntu, but I like what I read and see so far. Just need some helping getting it up and running correctly. I am a C programmer from the old school, but I think I can contribute to this effort eventually.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

According to OpenPrinting.org, this printer should work perfectly under Linux:

OpenPrinting database - Printer: Brother MFC-420CN

According to the Brother website, it appears that you have to use a cupswrapper driver for this printer. The driver file can be downloaded from here after agreeing to the license:

Licence Agreement

I think once you've downloaded it to your desktop, you can double-click it to install it in Ubuntu.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll try another installation method.

Once the driver is installed, you might need to restart CUPS or reboot your machine, then open your web browser and enter localhost:631 into the location bar to actually setup the printer.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

According to OpenPrinting.org, this printer should work perfectly under Linux:

OpenPrinting database - Printer: Brother MFC-420CN

According to the Brother website, it appears that you have to use a cupswrapper driver for this printer. The driver file can be downloaded from here after agreeing to the license:

Licence Agreement

I think once you've downloaded it to your desktop, you can double-click it to install it in Ubuntu.

If that doesn't work, let us know and we'll try another installation method.

Once the driver is installed, you might need to restart CUPS or reboot your machine, then open your web browser and enter localhost:631 into the location bar to actually setup the printer.
    Thanks OZ. I am going to give that a shot. I really want to dump MS. I have hated it for years, and the system is so unstable. I have gone back and forth between XP and Vista about 5 times in the past year. I think Linux is going to be so much better. I am an old hacker from way back. Started with a Kaypro II and CP/M. I like unix and command lines. So I am going to enjoy this. Now if I can only master Databases with Linux. I am really good at MS Access. Any good material to help me with this?? Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it. Keeps an old bird like me chirping... Joe