Find the answer to your Linux question:
has any one here used any video editing software with ubuntu ? i have 7.10. even the most basic would be fine. I can't get totem to work, seems like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

any one here video edit ?

has any one here used any video editing software with ubuntu ? i have 7.10. even the most basic would be fine. I can't get totem to work, seems like there is an issue with missing codecs, and it won't install new ones.

For video editing there is a cool little program called Avidemux. It has several frontends so it always sits well no matter what desktop you are using. If you're running Gnome install the GTK version from System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

If your codecs didn't automatically install through Totem you can manually install them by searching for the following packages
    • gstreamer-plugins-good
    • gstreamer-plugins-bad
    • gstreamer-plugins-ugly
    • ffmpeg
    That should cover most things for you. Those codecs should enable most players to work. Totem is just a player - are you looking to edit or just view?

Linux Newbie
    thanks BT. I'll download and install that. I figured totem was just a viewr, but looking through it's menu, i thought i may have a real basic function of putting shots in order... even something as raw as windoews movie maker is l i need. when i get home on friady night Im going to go at this full steam. so far I like ubuntu 710, but seriously thinking about the upgrade as 7.10 seems to be the only version that the flash issue never got resolved...from reading other posts I get that impression.