Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am literally 100% new to unix, but have quite a bit of experience working in Windows, I hope saying Windows here does not cause folks to ignore my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create Directory?

Hi,

I am literally 100% new to unix, but have quite a bit of experience working in Windows, I hope saying Windows here does not cause folks to ignore my need for help

In any case, I am trying to configure ssh/svn. My instructions say to do this, but I am at a loss on how to do it. I am logged on to the server and I see the unix command prompt, "user@servname:~$"

* have a .ssh directory whose permissions have been set as chmod 700 .ssh
    * cd to the .ssh directory and create an authorized_keys file.
    * Cut and paste the contents from the generated public key. The generated public key will look like:

---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
    Comment: "rsa-key-2003434"
    AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIEAqTffMAzRckp6px9FXUCn0r WzXKcu36ap8666
    r7VBCjUDh5g+dfdfdfddfdfdf/qVLbjzDPKSj2ANdS6U7xFYgUDoNE1nuVUbYhf
    1D5kY+4S7Q4muG+bGN8/PZhipJgkbW9D9Rl9n4Y655zDlJzlgbtxT94s2RQwPWAS
    sIlZJmk=
    ---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----

How in the world do I do this?

Thanks

-Westside

Do you have an X server (graphical server) on your local machine? If so you can enable X forwarding and do it all graphically. We can talk you through that if you'd like.

If not in a terminal you can
    Code:
    mkdir .ssh
    chmod 700 .ssh
    cd .ssh
    vim authorized_keys
    At this point you've just opened up a text editor. It's still in the terminal but it is one of the best. Simply press 'i', paste (carefully) what you have there into the file and then hit Esc. When you have that done type :wq and hit enter. The colon indicates a command, w is for write (as in save) and q quits the application. All done!

Obviously that would seem more natural to you if you were doing it graphically but that is a very direct way to get the job done.