Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, pcils gives : 02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) I installed the 'restricted driver' for the broadcom 4301 on my hp zv5260EA. eth1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Broadcom 4301 Ubuntu 7.04

hi,
    pcils gives : 02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4303 802.11b Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

I installed the 'restricted driver' for the broadcom 4301 on my hp zv5260EA.
    eth1 looks like 'working' :
    iwconfig gives :

eth1 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4301"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:19:7E:52: D0:78
    Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=16 dBm
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Also, I can see all the wireless networks available near my laptop, but when I choose to connect to the one I want, using a wpa personal code, it goes on 'trying' with no success.

any help ?

Personally I found the b43 and bcm43xx drivers to be severely lacking. At best you'll get 11Mbps. You might consider using ndiswrapper. You can install it through Synaptic Package Manager and then install the Windows ndis-based driver through that. The good thing is that it will work. The bad thing is that if you have a Broadcom b44 ethernet port there is some trickery to get ndiswrapper to work while blacklisting the b43 driver but allowing the b44.

Let me know if you're interested, it takes a while to explain the steps

Just Joined!
    I'm surely interested! how nice would it be to have my wifi card working! actually, i rent a room in a family's house, and the only way I can get internet is by this stupid wireless card that's not working! (that I'm not being able to make it work )
    I didnt understand what u said about b44 ? i have a broadcom 4301, that's it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just looking back over your first post I can see you're using Ubuntu 7.04 so the trickery with b44/b43 don't apply. They are the newest drivers for broadcom ethernet and the broadcom 43xx wireless cards.

As it happens because you are using 7.04 you would be using the older driver which doesn't have this trouble - the bcm43xx driver

Here's the walkthrough from the Ubuntu wiki. It's not as long or as complicated as it seems - you only need one working Windows driver. If you have your own on CD/DVD you can just copy that out yourself.

If you find this a bit overwhelming just say, but most of the commands are straight copy and paste and are a lot more direct than doing everything graphically.