Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am at a brick wall here. I am trying to install firefox 3 but for some reason Ubuntu isn't recognizing the command ./configure. I found on the forums to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu doesn't recognize ./configure

I am at a brick wall here. I am trying to install firefox 3 but for some reason Ubuntu isn't recognizing the command ./configure. I found on the forums to run this little number:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install build-essential
    but that didn't solve the problem. I am running Ubuntu 8.04. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Linux Guru
    Code:
    ./configure
    is a command to execute the configure script located in the current working directory.

Is there a "configure" script (that's executable) in the directory you're in?

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Firefox; I was making it way harder than it needed to be. But about the configuring. There has to be a "configure" script in the directory? What would the file extension be?

There wont be any extension. There will be a file named 'configure' and you can execute it as ./configure. You must cd to folder having configure file first.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just so you know not all tarballs have configure scripts in them always best to read the readme files first firefox most of all does not have a configure script also using synaptic could save you alot of hassle

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGhost91 View Post
    Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Firefox; I was making it way harder than it needed to be. But about the configuring. There has to be a "configure" script in the directory? What would the file extension be?
    Firefox?!
    Are you sure it's a source build? Mozilla provide a tarball of static binaries i.e. precompiled Firefox and this has caused endless confusion for people unfamiliar with this method. It doesn't need to be built at all, you just need to run the firefox script in the directory.

On that same note, Hardy has the latest Firefox builds - you shouldn't need to install from source. If you are accepting your updates you will have the latest full Firefox 3 instead of the beta it shipped with. If you haven't you might consider running an update with 'mark all updates' in Synaptic Package Manager after running a refresh, or through the terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Like I said, I figured out what I was doing wrong with firefox and I have it installed. I really just needed to know why it wasn't working when I tried to use
    Code:
    ./configure
    I was having the same problems with a couple other programs too.

As I mentioned earlier, you have to navigate to folder having configure file through cd command.
    Let say, you have configure file in /home/user_id/download/package. You have to cd to that folder.
    Code:
    cd ~/download/package
    ls
    ./configure
    I would suggest you to check linuxcommand.org.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First