Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was having a look in my services list for things to stop because I don't need them (like bluetooth) and I saw that I had both Gdm and Xdm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xdm or Gdm

I was having a look in my services list for things to stop because I don't need them (like bluetooth) and I saw that I had both Gdm and Xdm selected.

From what I understand I should only need Gdm since I only use gnome, but when I untick Xdm I get a message saying the usual 'Are you sure etc'. So I thought that I would ask here before I did anything with it.

I figure worst thing that could happen is that I don't get a graphical login to start with and I would have to simply run Xdm to get back. But since I'm pretty new I may be wrong.

Simply do I need Xdm if I have Gdm and only use gnome?

Execute this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    Does it list both, xdm and gdm? Is there any output?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I found out what it was for.
    I remembered that when I did the install I was talking to a friend who is in love with flux and xdm. So I did an install of flux and xdm.

Thats why it was there. So it was installed and never used. I have uninstalled it without issue.

Thanks though DC