Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I want to use a keybord layout that's just plain normal. I want a quotation mark to appear without having to type " plus a space. In th€ USA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Which keybord layout is just normal?

Hi!

I want to use a keybord layout that's just plain normal. I want a quotation mark to appear without having to type " plus a space. In th€ USA layout¸I don't hav€ to¸but wi€rd things happ€n wh€n I am in that layout¸as you can s€€˙ Not €v€n th€ p€riod shows up normally˙

I'm using a HP notebook (8710w).

Any ideas?
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

From hp.com:

"The 101/102-key compatible keyboard features an industry standard, full-pitch key layout with desktop keyboard features, such as the isolated inverted-T cursor control keys, editing keys, both left and right control and alt keys, and 12 function keys. US and International key layouts are available. Other features include a full numeric keypad, hotkeys for instant access to power conservation, brightness, and other features, 19.05-mm x 19.05-mm key pitch (center-to-center spacing), 3.0-mm stroke, and comfort-dished keycaps."

So I changed the keyboard type to Generic 102-key (Intl) PC, and everything seems fine now.
    OS's I use: Debian testing, Debian stable, Ubuntu, OpenSuse 12.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP