Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not terribly good with Linux, and as luck would have it, this is the first PC I've owned where the company (In all their wisdom) didn't block overclocking. With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The dreaded word- Overclocking

I'm not terribly good with Linux, and as luck would have it, this is the first PC I've owned where the company (In all their wisdom) didn't block overclocking.

With that out of the way, is there any decent software for overclocking in Linux? (As I can't seem to find the BIOS) Alternatively, how can I manually change the settings?

Please note that I am more than well aware of the crazy stuff that can happen when a system is overclocked. It can erode CPUs potentially shaving their lifespan, higher levels of heat, more power usage, the ISS will fall from orbit, et al.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    You wont find the software for oc'ing with linux that you have with windows. It's not necessary. Most oc'ing is acheived in the BIOS anyway. There is nvclock for most nVidia-based cards, and the much less capable Rovclock for some ATI-based cards. There used to exist a small handful of modules for adjusting vCore, clock speed, etc. but they were chipset-specific, had no lasting appeal, and are no longer maintained.

Lackluster performance just doesn't seem to be the issue on linux machines that it is on windows machines. Aside from the lack of malware and the more efficiently designed kernel, a properly administered linux machine simply doesn't load unwanted/unsolicited code duing each session.

Just Joined!
    Linux does work better than Windows, yes, but nothing runs that well on a Pentium III. :P

Ah well. Thanks for the advice.

why would you wanna over clock i always thought overclocking was mostly for gamers

My advice on your machine is to use Fluxbox or IceWm. Just changing to these WMs can give a massive performance boost - without the need to overclock. You can also install a light Linux-distro, like DSL or Fluxbuntu.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Quote Originally Posted by labine50 View Post
    (As I can't seem to find the BIOS) Alternatively, how can I manually change the settings?
    I'd be concerned that if the BIOS isn't presenting the option that it's not possible with your setup. What hardware do you have, as in motherboard etc.

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    I wouldn't feel too good about a box where I couldn't reach the BIOS. If you fill us in on your hardware (mfr, mobo, model) someone may by able to help you get into that pesky BIOS.

oz
    forum.guy
    Check your motherboard manual for the key press sequence needed to enter into the BIOS settings at boot time, and for the proper instructions to overclock any hardware components.

You might also be able to find a BIOS update for your motherboard that would offer additional overclocking possibilities.
    oz