Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed ubuntu 7 friday night, from a live cd, and it opened to the usuall brown screen,running gnome, it had a few bugs, so i re-istalled it.. ( I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

defalt desktops

I installed ubuntu 7 friday night, from a live cd, and it opened to the usuall brown screen,running gnome, it had a few bugs, so i re-istalled it.. ( I let the disk do all the install by itself ) this time, it loaded and opened to a BLUE screen, with no logo, or task bar or windowbar. running xfce. everything runs ok, and the apps that wouldnt install in gnome, now work. I jast wonder if the cd decided that my computer is too old to work with gnome, and installed with the xfce the second time ? it's a pentium 4 with 2gigs ram.

AFAIK, Ubuntu ( Gnome ) doesn't have Xfce Desktop. Are you sure that you have used same CD? Execute this
    Code:
    find /usr/share/doc -iname *dm
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie

Question

I have re-installed again, and have the gnome desktopa all working....this is very strange, I have installed ubuntu from the disk 5 differnet times ( learning ) and when it reboots after install, I get a message balloon saying 365 updates are available, the 2 times that i clicked to install updates, I ened up with a blue screen and no task bar..running xfce, this is after the disk had been ejected, and it deffnately is xfce, because it says " about xfce" on the dropdown menu, so for some reason, the " Updates ?" install xubuntu on my machine, which worked kind of, but with no task bar, minimizing the screen resulted in the app, disapearing completely WHILE still running... so I started over with clean install. Has any one heard of such a thing ? as of now, I have 7.10 running perfectly, but Im afraid to click update...is there a way to update ONLY security patches ? thanks again.

I have never heard anything like that. Updates never change Desktop Environment at least.
    Execute this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Open Synaptic Package Manager and check if Xfce or any related packages listed in Upgradable or marked for installation packages.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First