Find the answer to your Linux question:
i must admit i am no expert in linux. in fact, i am rather an amateur. i am trying to install ubuntu in my new laptop, but i cant. when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't start installation

i must admit i am no expert in linux. in fact, i am rather an amateur. i am trying to install ubuntu in my new laptop, but i cant. when i boot from the ubuntu cd, i press "install" and then nothing is responding, it is stuck. i have tried both 8.04 and 7.10 with the same result. there is nothing wrong with the cds, b/c i ve used them in my previous laptop. i think that the problem may be in the display adapter, which is the nvidia geforce 9300 GS. the cpu is core 2 duo t5750, and 4 gb of ram. i have tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit cd (for the 8.04)...can anyone give me some help?thx in advance

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor View Post
    i must admit i am no expert in linux. in fact, i am rather an amateur. i am trying to install ubuntu in my new laptop, but i cant. when i boot from the ubuntu cd, i press "install" and then nothing is responding, it is stuck. i have tried both 8.04 and 7.10 with the same result. there is nothing wrong with the cds, b/c i ve used them in my previous laptop. i think that the problem may be in the display adapter, which is the nvidia geforce 9300 GS. the cpu is core 2 duo t5750, and 4 gb of ram. i have tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit cd (for the 8.04)...can anyone give me some help?thx in advance
    Have you tried the alternate install cd?

Its a Graphics Card problem only. Try Alternate Installation CD of Ubuntu as suggest by wesley_morris. Alternate installation CD has text based installer and its easy to install Graphics Driver after installation.

Btw, have you tried "vesa" driver option?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thank you from your answers.

unfortunately the same problem persists even if i press f4 and choose command-line installation from the alternate cd...are there any other ideas?

Are you using Alternate Installation CD or Ubuntu LiveCD?
    Alternate installation CD's installer is text based by default and LiveCD gives choices for Graphical and Text based installation.
    LiveCD's text based installation doesn't work most of the time. Download Alternate Installation CD only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First