Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I'm trying to figure out how to manually configure my scaling of a core 2 duo. I read that powernowd is for AMD but it was installed with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cpu scalling Core 2 Duo

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out how to manually configure my scaling of a core 2 duo. I read that powernowd is for AMD but it was installed with Hardy (and appears to work) but it's preconfigured and I don't like the current settings. I can see the cpu slowing down (in conky) from 2400 mhz to 1000 mhz but it only has two setting, nothing in between. I read on the man powernowd that I can alter this but I tried this:

OPTIONS="-m 2"

in the /etc/default/powernowd file with no luck. From my understanding that should make it so that it goes to 20% cpu use when cpu use is lowest and then it should gradually increase as needed. Instead I still only have the two options.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Your CPU is scaling, but it's not being controlled by an AMD utility.

CPUFreq

Fun with CPUFreq

the weird thing is when I uninstall powernowd and install cpufreqd there is no scaling and I can't get it to work at all (always running at 100%). I just reinstalled powernowd and added the scaling monitors to my taskbar and I can fully control my cpu frequencies....it's strange that cpufreqd doesn't work at all but something build for AMD would....

I run a Q6600 myself. Modern CPUs scale themselves as required. Generally they would scale between 1.6GHz and 2.4GHz (i.e. 66% and 100%).