Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
After looking at my original post I finally realize the J in CJLZ is higher case....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

After looking at my original post I finally realize the J in CJLZ is higher case.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

AARRGGG:
    harry@harry-desktop:~/Desktop$ mv /home/harry/Desktop/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz/home/harry/Desktop/lexmark/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz
    mv: missing destination file operand after `/home/harry/Desktop/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz/home/harry/Desktop/lexmark/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz'
    Try `mv --help' for more information.
    harry@harry-desktop:~/Desktop$
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

What is meant by your statement "...providing you have a 'lexmark' directory on your Desktop" . I thought the file I created on the Desktop labled Lexmark accoerding to these 2 tutrials I am following was all I needed to do. Are these tutorials bogus?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    harry@harry-desktop:~/Desktop$ mv /home/harry/Desktop/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz/home/harry/Desktop/lexmark/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz
    mv: missing destination file operand after `/home/harry/Desktop/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz/home/harry/Desktop/lexmark/CJLZ6OOLE-CUPS-1.O-1.TAR.gz'
    There's supposed to be a blank space between the directory you are moving the file from and the one you are moving it to. According to what you posted above, you've run them together.

For lots of good information on working with the Linux command line, check out LinuxCommand.org:

LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    oz

I went to LinuxCommand.org and read up on trying to use mkdir. Found I needed to install some Packages so I did. What gets me ozar if you look at both tutorial links I posted, they are word for word on how to install this printer except on the ubuntu tutorial it says nothing about cd/Desktop in the instructions. I don't want to run sudo cuz I'm afeared of breaking my install which works great except for the printer. Nothing is said about sudo or making a directory in either tutorial. I tried in Terminal to mkdir Lexmark and after entering the mv command I got some scary errors which made me lose confidence because I don't know what the heck I'm doing when I go off on these tangents on my own. The LinuxCommand.org section for mkdir didn't say anything about making a directory for the desktop. I know I'm a little thick since I'm just a everyday Biker using Ubuntu but I figured I try to customize it a little more but not at the cost of breaking it. If it was a motorcycle I'd know how to rebuild the motor. When it comes to Linux I'm a babe in the woods. Appreciate the time and effort you've spent with me to get this to work.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    You have successfully created the "lexmark" directory (or folder) if you see it on your desktop.

You'll only need to use sudo (or root permissions) to write to any file or directory outside of your /home directory. Of course, that means that you'll need those permissions if you intend to install any software that is to be installed outside your /home directory.

Hope that makes sense.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Take a look at the following HowTo:

Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit Lexmark Z645 Install - Ubuntu Forums

Hopefully, it's laid out in such a way that it's easier to understand and use.

Note that it was installed on a 64-bit system, so be on the lookout for any changes that might need to be made if you are using 32-bit Linux.

As a general rule, Lexmark doesn't have the greatest track record of working with Linux, but according to OpenPrinting.org, your printer works will 'mostly' under Linux.
    oz

Ok, I went into my Home folder and saw a empty folder labled Lexmark with another empty folder inside labled lexmark.I tried to drag and drop to the desktop but since I have the Tar.gz in a file already labled Lexmark it asked if I either wanted to overwrite the previous file or insert it into the one already on the Desktop. On a hunch I moved it to trash since it was empty and opened Terminal and typed "mkdir lexmark" . Opened home folder once again and there was the new file after I typed in mkdir lexmark. I dragged and dropped it to the desktop. Is this the directory file you were talking about earlier? If so it is now on the desktop. I now have 1 file labled Lexmark with the Tar.gz in it and an empty folder labled lexmark that showed up in the home directory after entering mkdir lexmark in Terminal. Am I doing it right so far? If I am, can I get a good command line with the right spaces with all the info I have given so far. I hope to figure I'm getting closer.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Read real fast through the tutorial. Does'nt say any thing I saw about 64 bit or 32 bit in the command structure. It also does'nt state anything about Putting anything on the desktop. I'm thinking and correct me if I am wrong is that I should put the Tar.gz into the folder labled lexmark and move it back into the home folder area I took it out of and delete the Lexmark folder I created on the desktop by using right click on mouse and clicked on New Folder. Thats where the Lexmark with the capital L came from. Is my thinking correct?
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    If you have the downloaded tar.gz file and it's now in the 'lexmark' folder, the steps given in the howto should work if you follow them closely.

From looking at the howto that I posted for you and the ubuntu howto that you posted, it appears that you need alien and printconf installed to complete the printer driver installation.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien printconf
    ...once that's done, just follow the steps given in your Ubuntu howto.

Remember that you only need to enter the command that is given on the left side of the hash marks (#) for each command, and that this '$' is the prompt itself and not part of the command.

In other words, on the third command on the list, it would be like this:

Code:
    tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
    oz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast