Find the answer to your Linux question:
I install ubuntu 8.4 yesterday and used it for about 4 hours, rebooting a few times, and it ran flawlessly, this morning all the sudden it freezes, videos play choppy, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hardy unstable today

I install ubuntu 8.4 yesterday and used it for about 4 hours, rebooting a few times, and it ran flawlessly, this morning all the sudden it freezes, videos play choppy, and firefox refuses to quit, without force. is this because of the new version of firefox ? it says 3 beta. thanks.

Have you taken any updates since you installed it? Also have you got the correct driver for your video card installed? What video card are you using?

Linux Newbie
    it's the video card that came with this computer it says ich6, or intel corp 82915G/GV/910GL I havnt done any upgrades, specifically because of ( please read strange update problems int he newbie forum ) I installed hardy from a live dvd, and it ran perfect all day yesterday without a hiccup. only thing i did was install flash, but it worked all day. could firefox have updated in the background withoutme knowing it ? is this machine too weak to run 8.4 ? it's a dell 4700 p-4 with 2 gigs of ram. thanks for any input, I can't even reply to devilscasper at the moment as it keeps graying out the screen.

Linux Newbie
    Your pc is more than adequate to run any Linux distribution. Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and if shows that there is a driver available, install it.