Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
My understanding of a Wubi install is that it creates files on an existing Windows partition rather than creating separate partitions on a disk. The output you have given for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My understanding of a Wubi install is that it creates files on an existing Windows partition rather than creating separate partitions on a disk. The output you have given for fdisk looks like you have partitions created for Linux on sdc. From a Wubi install I think you end up with a file C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk which contains the virtual disk.

I have not done a Wubi install so I am struggling with this, if you did a Wubi install - are you using version 8.04 or 8.04.1 ... it looks as though 8.04.1 cures most of the issues with 8.04 - see here.

Hello Jonathan

I am not interested in wubi install anymore, because IMHO it decreases the performance to some extent as there is no separate SWAP space available.

What I woould like to do is to install Ubuntu, but not to mess with the Windows MBR and install the GRUB somewhere else, like a Floppy Drive may be....

Till now as you can see from my fdisk -l output, I have already installed Ubuntu but the GRUB seems to be givin' me different errors...as for now ERROR 22

IMHO, the trouble must be with this release of Ubuntu, it must be a buggy one.

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

Here is a page with a list of Grub error numbers, what they mean, and how to fix them.

grub page

Somewhere on the page is also a link to the Super Grub Disk page where you can donload a bootable .iso to burn to cd which has the Grub editor on it so you can fix things when they go wrong.

Later, Ray Parrish

Quote Originally Posted by src2206 View Post
    Hello Jonathan

I am not interested in wubi install anymore, because IMHO it decreases the performance to some extent as there is no separate SWAP space available.

What I woould like to do is to install Ubuntu, but not to mess with the Windows MBR and install the GRUB somewhere else, like a Floppy Drive may be....

Till now as you can see from my fdisk -l output, I have already installed Ubuntu but the GRUB seems to be givin' me different errors...as for now ERROR 22

IMHO, the trouble must be with this release of Ubuntu, it must be a buggy one.
    OK so you have done a conventional install of Ubuntu. You can use the Supergrub CD to restore Windows generic code to the MBR of disks as well as using it to reinstall Grub to the MBR of disks. Its worth having a copy of this disk because it will help get a system booted in most instances (it also has options to directly boot an OS as well).

Looking back at some of the previous posts you have 3 disks in the system, each will have an MBR and the disk which is used to boot the system (MBR read first) is probably selected in BIOS settings.

In your position I would unplug the IDE drive and check the system will boot correctly from your other drives first eg check Windows still boots correctly - if it does not you should be able to fix this with the Supergrub CD.

After that if you decide to use Grub or Windows bootloader is up to you. But my next step would be to unplug the two other drives and just have the IDE drive connected and fix the boot process for the IDE only ... if you have Windows on the IDE drive you can use SuperGrub to restore Windows MBR code if you want to use that bootloader.

Ed: let us know which way you want to tackle things and somewone should be able to post additional help if you require it.

Thanks for your response.

Last time, while performing a conventional installation, I have placed the GRUB in a floppy so that the XP's MBR is not messed up. From my experience I know that Windows is really very touchy about it and can some times lead to reinstal of the whole OS, fixing MBR does not always work.

I also tried to use SperGrub Disk floppy version as well as the original GRUB (in floppy), but in either case it failed to boot.

What I would lie to do, is to use either SUPERGRUB Disc or floppy to boot in Linux when I require, otherwise I would like the PC to boot normally in windows.

From your fdisk output on sdc you have Linux as the first partition of the drive ... Windows can sometimes refuse to boot if it is not on the first partition of the drive you boot from. Probably worth trying moving things around on sdc so that the Windows partition is first and see if you can get Windows to boot again.
    SuperGrub can write the generic Windows code to the MBR but I think you may need Windows to be the first partition of the disk for it to boot.

Ummmm.....Thanks Jonathan, I can boot in Windows without any problem from the begining.

Anyways, I have used SGD to restore GRUB to hdc (hd2,0), the partition where Linux is installed. So using SGD I can boot in Linix without any problem now.

[Method I used (the best I can remember): SGD> Menu with Help> GRUB> Advanced> Install GRUB to a specified Disc and Partition> Chose the partition (hd2,0)> problem solved]

What I am trying to find is a way to add this entry to Windows Boot Loader (boot.ini) file (if at all possible that is).

Thanks for your help again.

Sorry I thought you were struggling to get Windows to boot ... sometimes it needs to be the first partition on the hard drive.

My understanding is you can't directly load Linux from the Windows bootloader ... what you do is chainload grub. Similarly you can't load Windows direct from grub ... what you do is chainload Windows bootloader.

SuperGrub is probably as good a place as any for this this page has instructions.

I must give it a try sometime ... personally I prefer to use Grub to chainload Windows but I suppose I should give it a go

Worked example chainloading grub from Windows bootloader - Windows 2000

OK I've tried it and it worked on my system with Win98 and Win2000. In my instance sda1 has boot.ini file and setup example for Linux on sda9. Already have config files for grub on sda9.
    1. Install grub to sda9 boot sector
    Code:
    sudo grub
    root (hd0,8)
    setup (hd0,8)
    quit
    2. create file with grub from sda9 boot sector
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda9 of=/home/jonathan/linux9.bin
    3. mount sda1 to /media/sda1
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/sda1
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1
    4. copy linux9.bin to Windows root
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/jonathan/linux9.bin /media/sda1
    5. rebooted in Windows and open command line change to c:, change file to non system and hidden
    Code:
    c:
    cd \
    attrib -s -h boot.ini
    6. Edit the file (notepad will do) and add a line
    Code:
    c:\linux9.bin="Linux on sda9"
    Then reboot the system ... and it should work.

When I first tried this I used the filename linuxsda9.bin and I got an error message ...
    Code:
    Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows 2000 root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    I renamed linuxsda9.bin to linux9.bin, updated boot.ini and now it works ... so I think the error message is something to do with 8 character filename limit being exceeded

Hope this helps & things work out on your system ... let us know how it goes

Great Jonathan! Thanks very much....I shall surely give it a try today evening after coming back from work...

Sorry for my misplaced tech jargon, I meant chain loading grub from Windows boot loader

I shall let you know about the outcome...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast