Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i'm new to linux so i dont really know alot about, i tried installing linux today and when i started the installation it started loading then i got this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile problems during installation

hello, i'm new to linux so i dont really know alot about, i tried installing linux today and when i started the installation it started loading then i got this on my screen:

can anyone please help with this? because I really dont know what to do from here. and i want linux on my pc because im getting tired of windows >.<
    and from what i've heard linux is way better so

Couple things to try:

1. Reburn the cd (what version of Ubuntu are you trying, Hardy Heron (8.04)?
    2. If reburn doesn't work, try older version of Ubuntu (Gutsy 7.10)
    3. Wait until Thursday when Intrepid is released (8.10) and then try again
    4. Try alternative installation (this is a non live distro -- ie you cannot use Ubuntu from the cd, it's just a regular install like a windows cd would do). You can find this on Ubuntu's page if you search for alternative cd I believe

Hope one of these help
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    well I'm using the 8.04 version yes, i will try to reburn the cd as you said.
    I let him test the cd for errors in the ubuntu menu and it said 24 files were corrupt/broken, so it might be my cd.

any way I hope I dont need to download it again because then I would have to wait until saturday because I am on smallband atm (belgian internet..).

thx for the help so far and I will try these things out.

i'll let you know when it works.

grtz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you end up liking Ubuntu you may want to get a few of the free cd's sent to you from their site (fairly easy to order them, you might have to pay for shipping and handling). The reason I suggest this is that as a new user I know that I had to reinstall frequently, it was always good having a backup around). You also might want to check out this (if you have a flash drive):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Those are instructions to get the OS on a flash drive, from here you can run it as a live distro from the USB or you can install from USB in about 6-8 minutes.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    ok i'll try that. also, i was able to get my hands on a cd with ubuntu 7.04 on it and i tried to install it but then he gave me this:

could'nt find x server (graphical interface) it might not be installed.

any idea what this could be? my EN8800GTS works perfectly in windows xp and i was able to boot linux from the disc in safe mode but I couldnt partition my hard disk in safe mode for the installation..

anyways thanks for the help so far.

Erm...basically, X Server is the base that the GUI (graphical user interface) runs on, if that's what you're asking. Without it, the GUI can't be loaded. Without it, you'd be left with the command line. I don't know why it couldn't be found though. Might have been an installation error. I guess it could also have been missing on the installation media for some reason.

Just Joined!

Ubuntu installation problem

On 10/18 I downloaded 8.10 iso file using Windows XP and burned it at low speed (4X). I checked CD for errors - had none. My BIOS is set up to boot CD's first - booted with no problem. I guess you have one hard disk you plan to partition? Sounds like transcription defect. Can you try a different download mirror? I think I downloaded from a school in Georgia or North Carolina. Les

Just Joined!
    i wouldnt know how it could be missing:s i ran the disk for erorrs and linux said no errors found or no files were missing. also i got the disc from someone who himself has installed ubuntu 7.04 on alot of comp's.
    so the only thing left for me now is downloading ubuntu again or downloading the new linux and try to install it again and hope to the god of computers it will work^^