Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a way to open either of these file formats on Ubuntu? Docx is the MS Office 2007 format they started using, it's not backwards compatible with older versions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Docx and PSD file formats

Is there a way to open either of these file formats on Ubuntu?

Docx is the MS Office 2007 format they started using, it's not backwards compatible with older versions of office, and I believe Open Office is unable to read this format yet.

PSD is for Adobe Photoshop - is a linux version? Or will GIMP be able top open an adobe file?

I think that there are ways to open xml-based office documents in Linux, but it's often an ugly and awkward process. I would suggest just looking around online; there are different tutorials for doing this. There are also some online converters; check out this link: Convert docx files to doc, pdf, odt and txt Zamzar.

As for PSD files, however, GIMP handles them fine. You should have no issue there unless the images are CMYK.
    Registered Linux User: #479567
    Asking a question? Read this page first.
    Now... sudo make me a sandwich.
    ratiocinativeroot.blogspot.com

Just Joined!
    If you have to read (only, and not edit) the docx document in linux, the best way is to convert the docx document to pdf and then read it.
    there is a separate application for converting MS Office 2007 documents into pdf format (can be downloaded from MS website).. change the document into pdf..(or even into 2003 format) then view it through open office in linux.. (for editting---u can even use pdf edit in linux)
    for any queries regarding MS Office 2007, PM me i will help u in this matter..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Openoffice 3 will open docx but will not save in it, so you can open it, do whatever you need to do and then save as .doc or even better as .odt. Instructions to instlal OOo3 are here:
    How to install Openoffice 3 (replace Openoffice 2) in Ubuntu 8.04/8.10 | Linux and Web Development

As for PSD
    Usually this is no for GIMP but I came across a plugin that you can try out and let us all know how it works

Opening a PSD image... | GIMP Plugin Registry
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

For PSD, what I really recommend is buying or downloading Photoshop 7.0 and installing it under WINE. It runs perfectly.