Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi frenz.. I m a medical student and till now i was using MS windows and have shifted to Ubuntu 8.10 I have lot of books which are in CHM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] CHM files in Ubuntu 8.10

Hi frenz..
    I m a medical student and till now i was using MS windows and have shifted to Ubuntu 8.10
    I have lot of books which are in CHM format.. few books can be opened by xchm program (but with distorted arrangement) but others cannot be opened.. can anybody suggest me some remedy for that..
    Thanks in advance

Just Joined!

CHM viewers

You should probably try kchmviewer or gnochm. I can't remember which one I liked better.

There are other options, as shown by:
    Code:
    aptitude search chm|grep CHM
    p   archmage                        - CHM(Compiled HTML) Decompressor           
    p   chm2pdf                         - A Python script that converts CHM files in
    p   gnochm                          - CHM file viewer for GNOME                 
    p   kchmviewer                      - CHM viewer for KDE                        
    p   kchmviewer-nokde                - CHM viewer for KDE                        
    p   libchm-bin                      - library for dealing with Microsoft CHM fil
    p   libchm-dev                      - library for dealing with Microsoft CHM fil
    p   libchm1                         - library for dealing with Microsoft CHM fil
    p   python-chm                      - Python binding for CHMLIB                 
    p   xchm                            - Compiled HTML Help (CHM) file viewer for X
    ( you could have just typed
    Code:
    aptitude search chm
    , and got a longer list that wasn't filtered by those that had capital CHM in the description, but there were more irrelevant packages there )

A search in Add/Remove Applications reveals chmsee and e-book reader ( fbreader ) too (they didn't have chm in upper case in the description)
    Looks like Gnochm is more popular than kchmviewer...
    Last edited by devolve; 11-07-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close