Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody. As suggested by the title, I'm trying to get my Macbook Pro to dual boot both Mac OS X and Ubuntu using the Boot Camp software bundled with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot Install Ubuntu with Mac OSX (via Boot Camp)

Hey everybody. As suggested by the title, I'm trying to get my Macbook Pro to dual boot both Mac OS X and Ubuntu using the Boot Camp software bundled with Mac OS X. I followed the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro (the 'Ubuntu and Mac OS X (Dual Boot, no rEFIT)' section) but when I hold option while booting up, the only drive it lets me choose to boot from is HDD. Basically, although everything was apparently installed fully, it doesn't recognize that there is a bootable linux partition.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE:

When I ran the install process from the Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD, I got to the section of the install where you are just about to press the actual install button, but before doing so I went into advanced options and deselected the "Install Ubuntu Bootloader" checkbox for fears it would override the native Mac OS X bootloader. If this is why it isn't working, can someone reassure me that it will not interfere with the whole "hold option for boot menu" system already set up?

When I ran the install process from the Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD, I got to the section of the install where you are just about to press the actual install button, but before doing so I went into advanced options and deselected the "Install Ubuntu Bootloader" checkbox
    Not owning a Mac or being familiar with OSX I am probably over my head here, but unless OSX has a bootloader that automatically adds Ubuntu to the Master Boot Record, I don't think Ubuntu will bootup without using GRUB which is Ubuntus Bootloader. Just remember, I don't run a Mac or use OSX so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also with the "Boot Camp software" wasn't there a way to add Ubuntu to the Macs OSX Master Boot Record?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Important: When using this method, Ubuntu will not be selected by default on boot. Nor it will be selectable by default; that means that if you don't press anything, the computer will boot on OS X Leopard. To be able to select wich system to use at boot, just after the system starts, keep pressed the Option (Alt) key, then, two images will appear, representing both OS' installed; select the one you need to use. The image called Windows is Ubuntu, a small price for an easy install.
    Read up on your link after I posted and this seems Like the most important part to boot up Linux after the install. Whats funny or wierd is the tutorial says click on the install button and then leaves you on your own to figure out about which bootloader to use.According to the Author you have followed the steps properly by pressing the option (Alt) button.Sorry I am not much help. I noticed this though

Ubuntu, OS X, & Windows XP (Triple Boot with rEFIt)

5 - At the last step of setup, click advanced because you need to change where GRUB is going to be installed, choose sdaX (which X is your Linux partition).

6 - Let it install Ubuntu.

7 - Get back to MacOS, install rEFIt, reboot and run the partition manager of rEFIt, which should take care of every detail of booting for each OS.

8 - Reboot and that's it.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I have never tried to install Linux using bootcamp. Have you tried installing it using VMware's virtualisation software? We got Suse working ok on one of our Macs. (Vm is much faster than Parrallels by the way) Cheers... Ishy