Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I've been looking at Linux / Windows comparisons on YouTube. Ubuntu looks great, reviews from "experts" are positive, so; I am trying to install the Linux OS with my limited ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Installation with newly formatted hard drive

I've been looking at Linux / Windows comparisons on YouTube. Ubuntu looks great, reviews from "experts" are positive, so; I am trying to install the Linux OS with my limited experience.

I have a Dell Dimension 2300 that came with Windows XP. The hard drive died. I removed the dead hard drive. I formatted another hard drive that once had windows installed on it. I downloaded Ubuntu and installed it on the newly formatted drive (using another pc). I placed the newly formatted drive in the Dell 2300, turned it on and............ "NTLDR MISSING".
    I hate "NTLDR MISSING". Every site I research discusses Dual OS MBR boot loaded mish mash. I have only Linux on my newly formatted hard drive, not XP.

Does anyone know how to proceed in order to get past Window's "NTLDR MISSING" using only Ubuntu?
    I appreciate any assistance.

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

Can you explain what you mean when you say you installed in on the formatted drive using another PC?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Yes. I have a Dell E521 with Windows XP installed. Using the E521, I formatted a second HD. I downloaded Ubuntu from the Linux site onto the HD. I extracred the files into the same, new HD. I double clicked the extracted application file (wubi ?) file which began the installation for Ubuntu onto the new HD. The Dell E521 then compelted the installation and requested a reboot. I removed the new HD from the E521 and "hooked it up" to the Dell 2300. You know the rest. Thanks. Any Ideas?

I'm not that familiar with wubi, but it might have installed the bootloader (grub) on the master boot record of the Windows machine you used. This would result in the problems you're seeing with the linux box.

1/ Is there any reason you can't install it using the computer that you intend to use it on? I.e. stick in the CD, reboot the machine, and follow the instructions?
    2/ Are you still able to reboot the Windows machine?
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

When installing Linux, you must do so on the PC the OS will run on with all extra hardware (printers, scanners etc) attached and switched on. This is a lesson I learnt in my first venture into Linux 4 years ago.

Do as smolloy suggests, burn Ubuntu onto a CD rom, put it in the machine you want to ultimately run it on and repeat the installation from scratch.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

I guess that's the main problem. The original HD in the Del 2300 died along with the XP tied to this specific Dell 2300 MOBO. The recovery CD for the 2300 had no effect. Another HD with Windows XP wasn't recognized by the existing 2300 MOBO so, Window's was unable to reboot. Frustrating but, there must be a way.

Thanks Martin. The 2300, where I placed the HD with Linux, is the pc I want to use with Linux. I used the HD insread of using a CD. My thought is to boot from the HD as apossed to the CD. Could booting from a CD work better than booting from a formatted HD with a fresh Ubuntu installation? Do you think booting from a CD could resolve this issue?

I think you're only making work for yourself any other way. The Ubuntu disk is designed to be booted from, to detect and format the HD in the machine and to automatically install any drivers for attached equipment it finds.

I'm running LinuxMint and that's based on Ubuntu, I ran it from the CD but in my case I kept XP and had a Linux partition ready-made using Partition Magic so Mint offered to install itself there, picking up XP automatically on GRUB.

Give the direct install from CD a try, it's very user-friendly and quick (faster than XP's install).
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

I agree with Martin. The CD is a really easy way to install Ubuntu. Just stick it in the drive, reboot the computer, follow the (really simple) instructions, and twenty minutes later you'll have a working computer running Ubuntu!

Thanks - I'll save the download from the Linux site onto a CD then try to reboot with that CD. I'll forward the results. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast