Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hi..i am using ubuntu 7.10 distro...in that the preinstalled kernel is "linux-2.6.22-14 generic"...after that i planned to compile an new kernel...so i downloaded from kernel.org....the new kernel which i download ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

unable to boot an new kernel

Hi..i am using ubuntu 7.10 distro...in that the preinstalled kernel is "linux-2.6.22-14 generic"...after that i planned to compile an new kernel...so i downloaded from kernel.org....the new kernel which i download is "linux-2.6.22.14"...so i compiled that new kernel an d\tried to install...so that i followed the below steps

#cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.14
    #make menuconfig
    #make
    #make modules
    #make modules_install
    #make install

after this commands i opened this /boot/grub/menu.lst and i added the below lines extra which i given in the block letters...

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=7ef4f8ec-7dd3-4c02-9f24-c9438e6b8bce ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=7ef4f8ec-7dd3-4c02-9f24-c9438e6b8bce ro single

title My Custom Kernel
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=/dev/hda1 ro

title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

but now i am unable to boot from new kernel..when i select the new kernel means i am getting the following error

starting up.....
    uncompressing linux...ok,booting the kernel
    [ 53.987716]kernel panic - not syncing: VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0.0
    )

so i dont know what to do...can any one suggest me what to do and how to do...cause i am new to linux...

Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Linux User
    i dont know how to create an initrd to load the module at startup....and the main thing is am not having any file called /etc/lilo.conf.....lilo.conf file is not there...help me what to do?i am new to linux...
    Thanks in advance...

Linux Guru
    shariefbe: Please don't post duplicate threads about the same problem. It is against the forum rules.

I have closed your thread in the Linux Kernel section, and put a link to this thread in it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by shariefbe View Post
    the main thing is am not having any file called /etc/lilo.conf.....lilo.conf file is not there...help me what to do?i am new to linux...
    That's because you're using GRUB, not LILO. The point is that whichever bootloader you use, you can make the same kind of silly mistakes if you're not careful - in this case, pointing to the wrong partition. When someone points you to a posting, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should follow literally what's written there; only that you should use it as a guide to the kind of thing that causes that particular error.

Your new kernel is panicking because it can't read the partition you told it was the root partition. Now this can in some distros be because the partition uses reiserfs, which the kernel cannot read without a reiserfs driver module being loaded. However this is unlikely to be the problem here as Ubuntu doesn't use Reiser.

What you need to do is boot to your old kernel and then examine this partition /dev/hda1. Is it a proper ext3 Linux partition? Does it contain a / directory at top level with all the proper subdirectories (/etc, /bin and so on)? If not, find the partition that does contain them and edit menu.lst accordingly.

By the way, if you're a complete novice, why are you building your own kernel?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel View Post
    By the way, if you're a complete novice, why are you building your own kernel?
    Good question, Hazel.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    why don't you just upgrade to a newer version of ubuntu if you want a newer kernel?

Linux User
    ya i am telling that i dont know to create an initrd image...and the main thing is i am not having an initrd image in /boot/grub so can you tell the way of creating the image of initrd....which bootloader have to use..whats the difference between this bootloaders...the main thing is this command follows the error...mkinitrd does not working...showing an error....what to do?i edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to boot an new kernel...the edited things are typed in the first post itself...please see that and suggest me...and do favour....Thanks a lot
    Thanks in advance...

Linux User
    i am compiling the new kernel to improve my knowledge and to do my college project...thats why
    Thanks in advance...

Tell me, just one thing... why You don't use Copy+Paste knowledge??

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=7ef4f8ec-7dd3-4c02-9f24-c9438e6b8bce ro single

Bellow is Your entry:
    title My Custom Kernel
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=/dev/hda1 ro

Should be:
    title My Custom Kernel
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=UUID=7ef4f8ec-7dd3-4c02-9f24-c9438e6b8bce ro single

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast