Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Ubuntu on my sister's PC's and it will not boot up into the OS at all. It starts with the little loading graphic (the orange bar that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Strange Ubuntu Problem with booting

I have installed Ubuntu on my sister's PC's and it will not boot up into the OS at all. It starts with the little loading graphic (the orange bar that moves as its loading) and stops & freezes at around 75-80% loaded and then nothing. I have tried numerous types of Ubuntu, 8.10, 8.04, 7.10 etc etc. I tried using a different hard drive thinking maybe it was a hard drive problem but its not. It was the same on both drives. She has enough memory she has half a gig of memory (500mb - just about). Her PC setup & mobo are exactly the same as mine I bought them at the same place. She has the exact same mobo I do but mine works & hers does not. She runs Windows XP just fine on the PC but she would really love to dump windows because she hates it and love linux but I cannot seem to get it to load properly on her machine at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to why? Thanks.

Just Joined!
    did you try the alternate CD?!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkyears View Post
    did you try the alternate CD?!!
    Yep. I installed with the alternate CD (7.10 & 8.10 - tried both) and then when the PC was booting up into Ubuntu it did the same thing that it always does. It froze at about 75-80% done on the bar. ;(

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Will it boot in recovery mode? ... if it does then remove splash and quiet from the kernel lines in the grub menu file at /boot/grub/menu.lst ... the splash screen sometimes causes problems.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Will it boot in recovery mode? ... if it does then remove splash and quiet from the kernel lines in the grub menu file at /boot/grub/menu.lst ... the splash screen sometimes causes problems.
    Sorry but recovery mode is not offered when I boot up the machine. It just tried to boot straight into Ubuntu and the progress bar stops and the picture gets all distorted when it freezes.

Can you press esc during boot and get a grub menu to pick recovery mode from?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    Can you press esc during boot and get a grub menu to pick recovery mode from?
    Nope. My sister is disabled and she gets really upset without her PC working so I've had to temporarily install windows again on the machine. I plan on trying to install linux again in a couple of days after she kinda settles down and stops freaking out. She gets easily freaked when I mess with her PC.