Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
In your case you would have to actually edit partitions to make the install. If that step is failing, there could be a few reasons, one being if any partitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

In your case you would have to actually edit partitions to make the install. If that step is failing, there could be a few reasons, one being if any partitions are already mounted before the install (not likely if you started installing from the boot screen).

Can you see the files on your hard drive after booting Ubuntu? This might be an indication of how good your hard drive is. You should back up anything you can see that you'd like to keep.

Are you interested in keeping your Windows partition, or are you looking to just wipe your hard drive and go exclusively with Linux. If the aft is true, you might have an easier time booting with a DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) disk, which will erase your hard drive and make it ready for a fresh install of anything. You actually can do the same thing* with your Ubuntu disk, if you're comfortable with the command line, DBAN just makes it more foolproof. After that, you can boot your Ubuntu disk and let it do an auto partition.

---
    *The command in Ubuntu Linux to erase a hard drive is

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

Note, this assumes your hard drive is parallel IDE (/dev/hda). Almost any other kind will be /dev/sda

The bs (block size) is optional, there for performance.

You must have no partitions mounted on the hard drive first, and you will need root permissions to access /dev/hda (or sda) (that is what the sudo does for you).

Just Joined!
    tyvm d-cat for your help. i managed to swap out hard drives from an old pc i kept around.everything works fine now. i am fully installed as of late last night and am eaer to delve into ubuntu and experience it more. off the topic i wander how long it will be til they start making more game supporting the linux platform.i have many games but i cannot use them on linux it seems.

The Codeweavers' Crossover project can run a good many games on Linux that Wine can't do by itself. They use proprietary code and there is a fee involved, but they prove that it is possible to run Windows stuff in Linux.

AFA actually coding games native to Linux, this is a large wheel on a bumpy road. It's hard to get rolling (and rolling it is), but it'll stop quickly if the effort isn't continually put into it. The big deal is Linux still has only a small fraction of desktop share, and the mentality of those running it isn't likely to make the game developers a huge profit, and after all, it is money that makes the world go round, and it's money they make off the Windows users.

Just Joined!

Xubuntu 8.10 problem with partition step (hd-media install)

Hi. I'm a first time Ubuntu user trying get up and running. Wiped my IBM Thinkpad 240x (no cd-rom) of W2k and am using the Xubuntu 8.10 Alternate ISO. My laptop is a Pentium 3 PC with 192MB RAM & 12GB HD. I used my desktop PC to format and partition the HD with a 1GB primary partition and a 1GB extended partition containing the .iso file in a folder called hd-media (also holds vmlinuz & initrd.gz). The rest of the HD is free space.

When I got to the partitioning step of the install, the menu gave me 3 options but none to actually partition. As I recall:
    >?
    >Blank line
    >Blank line
    >Clear what was done
    >Finish and partition

First, I chose "Finish and Partition", but that told me that I didn't do anything. So I tried the clear option which took me to a blank screen. And there I hang.

Fdisk -l output (after switching via CTL+ALT+F2):

Disk /dev/sda: 12.0 GB, 12072517632 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1467 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk Identifier: 0xa60e728b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 128 1028128+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda2 129 1467 10755517+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 129 256 1028128+ b W95 FAT32

Got over several hurdles earlier in the install and thought I was on my way to Ubuntu land. I'd like to somehow keep moving forward (successfully).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ~gt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2