Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I first installed Hardy Heron, I spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out how to get my wireless adapter to work. Then instead of upgrading to Intrepid ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How I got my Atheros AR5007 wirless to work on my Compaq Presario F700

When I first installed Hardy Heron, I spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out how to get my wireless adapter to work. Then instead of upgrading to Intrepid Ibex, I installed from CD and wiped all that out. Another couple of weeks later, I have finally got my wireless working again. I thought it would be a good idea to document it in case I do something stupid again and because I am sure there are people out there who have been just as frustrated and they can use the help.

Just so you know what hardware/software I am using for comparison to your system it is as follows:

Compaq Presario F700
    Windows Vista Home Premium dual boot with
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex released October 2008
    Atheros AR5007 wifi adapter

Atheros will tell you to use MADWIFI and the driver that they have developed for their adapters. That certainly did not work for me. Instead I had to use Windows drivers and the program NDISWRAPPER which allows you to use windows drivers in Linux.

Here's what I did.

Since my wirless adapter was not working, I used a Dlink USB adapter to get access to the web.

First I downloaded NDISWRAPPER from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/. Follow the directions there to install it.

Then I downloaded the windows XP driver net5211.inf from Atheros & Zidas drivers

The one I downloaded was contained in version 5.3.0.56 whql. Please note that this is a self extracting file that you will have to run under Windows--it is an .exe file.

On the web, plenty of people advised that the driver to use was net5217.inf. I simply could not find that available anywhere. But the net5211.inf driver worked just fine.

Okay, now that you have ndiswrapper installed, and you have net5211.inf downloaded and extracted, you are almost there

Go to System/Administration/Windows Wireless Drivers

Select Add

Navigate to the directory containing the Net5211.inf driver and select it.

Poof. Your wireless adapter should now be working. I hope this helps!

Just Joined!
    I dit the same thing

you can use this application "ndiswrapper standard installed" in ubuntu 8.10 and others to install the windows driver for your build-in wifi card.

I have AR5007 and it is sin like e AR5006 in linux drivers.

I used this .inf present in the tar.gz in this link http://users.telenet.be/stefsite/DriverAR5007win.tar.gz

Just open ndiswrapper en select via browse the net5211.inf file and apply.

And it works perfectly

Hier is the link for net5211.inf