Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu can't see my Laptop wireless card

Currently trying to switch all my computers over to Ubuntu from XP.....

I've installed Ubuntu on my Laptop & it works. Can surf the net fine if I plug it into my router.

Ubuntu can't seem to see my wireless card though. I've been through all the help screens included with Ubuntu & they lead to the supposition that the wireless card is switch off. It isn't! It's on & the little green light on my laptop confirms I haven't inadvertently turned it off.

I guess Ubuntu doesn't have the drivers for it? What can I do.

Thanks in advance

Post the output of lspci.

Some laptops have wireless card on a USB motherboard address, not PCI, although I think only Toshibas.

There's a great tutorial in ubuntuforums.org tutorials and tips by weiman01.

Don't suppose you could post a link for the tutorial? Can't find it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Quote Originally Posted by buccaneere View Post
    Post the output of lspci.

Some laptops have wireless card on a USB motherboard address, not PCI, although I think only Toshibas.

There's a great tutorial in ubuntuforums.org tutorials and tips by weiman01.
    I've spend hours looking for this tutorial but can't find it

I can find one from weiman01 about wireless networking but it's about setting up secuirty rather than finding your wireless card & getting it working.

The card is a Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adaptor & is built into my Fujitsu Siemens laptop

Please help!

Try here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/Atheros

I'm running Xubuntu on a dual-boot Toshiba laptop. This worked great on my Atheros (ar5007eg) card.

Bill