Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Not meaning to hijack a thread here but here I go. My new system is built and I want to run Ubuntu and Vista dual boot OS. What is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu and Vista dual boot OS

Not meaning to hijack a thread here but here I go. My new system is built and I want to run Ubuntu and Vista dual boot OS. What is the easiest way to config a new HDD?

Thanks

The easiest thing is to install Vista first (you can pre-partition with the gPartEd CD if you like, might make things work a little faster at the Linux install). Then when you install your Linux, all necessary adjustments will be made and a boot loader installed that'll let you choose between Linux and Windows.

Installing the other way around is more difficult and will require reinstalling/configuring the Linux boot loader (Grub) since the Windows installer will wipe it from the MBR and new bootable partition added since last configuration.

Can I not just make the partition upon installing Vista? Or will the other program be more suited to installing Ubuntu?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Vista's only interested in creating a single all-inclusive NTFS partition. If you don't pre-partition, then the (Ubuntu) Linux installer will have to re-partition later, including resizing the partition Vista made. Depending on the processor power and the size of the drive, this can add anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour to the install.

As far as how to partition it, it's hard for me to help without knowing the hard drive size and RAM, and your intended use of Linux. There are different schools of thought, but here's a generic guideline for typical dual-boot desktop use:

Partition 1: NTFS (for Windows), Whatever's left.
    Partition 2: ext3 for Linux, 20 GB
    Partition 3: Linux swap, 2x RAM up to 2GB*
    *exceptions, if RAM is less than 256MB, make RAM + swap >= 512MB (e.g. if 128 MB RAM, swap = at least 384 MB) If RAM is = or greater than 2GB and you intend a single user desktop, you may not need a swap at all. Again, depends on your intended use.

I don't expect if you're installing Vista you have that little, but I included it for the help of others. So is this: if you have less than 128 RAM, use a lighter distro like Puppy or DSL.

GParted Partition Manager is available in Ubuntu LiveCD and you can resize Vista partition to create partitions for Ubuntu.
    Create 2 new partitions :

ext3 for /, 10+ GB
    SWAP, 512 MB.

In case you have 1GB or more RAM, there is no need to create SWAP partition but its good to create 512MB SWAP to be on safer side. Allocating more than 512MB space is just a wastage, imho.

Start installation and select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP partition itself. Installer will detect Vista OS and setup dual boot for you.

In case you have any problem during partition resize, open Terminal in Ubuntu CD and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.

Good Luck ! Do let us know how it goes.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Keeping in mind I know NOTHING about Linux and I'm NOT a programer

Here is my system config:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83
    Gigabyte MB EP45-UD3P
    OCZ 8GB 1066 RAM
    500GB Seagate 7200 Primary drive
    1TB Seagate 7200
    GT9500 1G video card
    LG 6X Blu-Ray burner
    600Watt PSU with 42amp single lane

Hehe. You don't need a swap, though I think you'll need the 64-bit kernel to address all your RAM (which has some software compatibility issues, example- adobe flash).

I still recommend 20G to your ext3 partition, though again, it depends on your usage, like, if you're going to be doing a lot of downloading or video processing, you might want to increase the size to accommodate those files. Long Term Storage can still be done on your Windows partition (and probably should be if you want your files fully available to Windows), so you don't really need to have more than you do for processing the files. (My though pattern is approx 10G for the install and another 10G free to process DVD files. If you intend to process for Blue-Ray discs in Linux (I see you have a burner), you might even want to increase the size to like 60G.) As I keep saying it keeps coming down to, it depends on your usage.

My purpose for building is to edit HD video and burn to BD. I am hoping to try our Cinelerra I was planing to use Linux as my primary OS, split the 500G HDD in half and run vista on the other side to accommodate all my previous software

Hi,
    Today I just helped someone install Ubuntu 8.10 on a Vista laptop.
    I had him use the guide found here;
    How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

And yes, it works with 8.10 as well as 8.04

Started by shrinking the hard drive space from the Vista Hard Disk Management applet and creating unformatted free space.

Then rebooted and started the Ubuntu install.
    Chose the option to use 100% of the free space that Ubuntu found and installed it.

The only problem with this type of install is that you don't place the Home folder on its own partition.

So this is how its going to work:

Boot from Vista DVD
    Partition HDD into 2x 250gb drives
    install Vista, updates, drivers etc.
    boot from Ubuntu CD and follow install instructions

Keep in mind this is a new system with clean HDD's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast