Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Recording using Recorder: captured audio plays well if kept within Recorder, however, saved and played back via Recorder or Rythmbox, the sound is jerky, stutters, has squeaks and groans. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sound Recording

Recording using Recorder: captured audio plays well if kept within Recorder, however, saved and played back via Recorder or Rythmbox, the sound is jerky, stutters, has squeaks and groans. The playback is indescribably awful when played back on an XP machine. There is no native support for .MP3 in Ubuntu?

Recommendations to replace these tools?

Could I have the wrong drivers for the Soundblaster or no drivers at all? How can I check? Streamed radio plays well in good stereo, it's just recording and playing it back that's the problem.

(Linux Novice)

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried Audacity?

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

It might work better for you.
    oz

There is no native support for .MP3 in Ubuntu?
    Not off the CD, legal issues. From Synaptic, make sure the package ubuntu-restricted-extras is installed. That'll give you MP3 support as well as a few other formats, adobe flash player, a few other choice goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried Audacity?

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

It might work better for you.
    Tried that. Nowhere can I find a needed file: libmp3lame.so.0

Ubuntu works out of the box!

Linux Guru
    As D-cat has said, you need to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Quote Originally Posted by D-cat View Post
    Not off the CD, legal issues. From Synaptic, make sure the package ubuntu-restricted-extras is installed. That'll give you MP3 support as well as a few other formats, adobe flash player, a few other choice goodies.
    ubuntu-restricted-extras isn't installed and I can't install it:

jim@CC:~$ apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    jim@CC:~$

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    As D-cat has said, you need to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    I tried that. See my reply to D-Cat on this subject.

Recording using .FLAC files with Audacity seems to work without problems, but I
    ought to be able to record in .MP3.

But there's no way I can get past that locked file to install the ubutu-restricted
    option - it tells me I don't own the file - arrant nonsense! Who else would own it?

How do I get control of root priveleges (apart from sudo)?

How do I get control of root priveleges (apart from sudo)
    Actually, that's exactly what you do (if you're not using a gui manager like Synaptic). The command in Ubuntu is sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras . Unless you have defined a root password before, the password it asks for is your user password (no echo).

Quote Originally Posted by D-cat View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what you do (if you're not using a gui manager like Synaptic). The command in Ubuntu is sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras . Unless you have defined a root password before, the password it asks for is your user password (no echo).
    Yes I know, but I'm coming up against a locked file which I can't unlock so I can't
    install the package. See above.

Even Windows-95 was easier than this!

jim@CC:~$ apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
    Permission was denied because you didn't execute with sudo.

Windows 9x is easier because there is no permission scheme. All users have full access to all machine components, including hackers and malware, with absolutely no restrictions.

The linux restrictions are what prevents automated "drive-by" installs which commonly mess up Windows systems. These are age-old computer basics that many of us dislike Mr. Gates for allowing users to ignore and computers to be so ridiculously easy and corruptable in the first place. However OTOH, looking back, when Windows 9x was commonplace, the Internet was only starting to come of age and the threats were not so relentless as they are now.
    Last edited by D-cat; 02-13-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Had a lot more to say. ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast