Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Linux after XP. C unit to be converted to /home/ 15 GB ext3 7 GB swap 1.2 GB D unit was left unchanged(The recorded data were important) But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Data recovery

I installed Linux after XP.
    C unit to be converted to /home/ 15 GB
    ext3 7 GB
    swap 1.2 GB
    D unit was left unchanged(The recorded data were important)

But once i tried to recover XP. And it was recodered to D unit. All data disappeared.
    And Ubuntu 8.10 initialize this Unit as ACER ,msdos file system

Is there any ability of data recover on D.

Recover XP? XP should never have been damaged. Mounting it to /home was probably not a good idea though. "Recoded to D unit?" Am I to understand that you used an XP "recovery" CD and imaged it over your data drive? If that is the case, your odds of recovering data are next to zero. There may be some windows based recovery utilities that can scan the low level data structures for unlisted files that haven't been overwritten yet, but most of your data is probably gone (if I understand correctly what you did).

I know it takes time, but DVD-R's are not very expensive any more, you should always have an external backup of important data before making critical changes to your partitions.

Sadly, I do speak from experience. I'm still awaiting the ability to afford a large enough hard drive to make a massive recovery project possible. I hope you do find a solution. Good luck.

When installing XP, during the partition stage you are asked to select a partition, it may automatically select an NTFS partition if there is one, which is probably why it went for D drive/partition. You are then asked if you want to format it or leave it intact. If you chose to leave it intact, Windows based data recovery software may be able to find the data that was there before. Chances are they can't, because most Windows based data recovery software depend on what's written in the MFT of an NTFS partition, or the FAT of a Fat 32/16 formatted drive. And if Windows rewrites the MFT, all reference to existing data is removed.
    Now you're stuck using data carvers. Data carvers like Foremost or Photorec do not rely on file tables. They look in every sector for headers and footers of files (file signatures).
    I just looked at what Ubuntu installs by default and the required packages are not installed. Photorec is part of the testdisk package, install testdisk in Ubuntu to search for common file types, it can find many. If you have rare file types created from custom or unique software, install foremost also. You can add file signatures to the foremost configuration file, not Photorec.
    After installing, read the man pages for instructions, just type: photorec in a terminal to set it up. Have a large drive or another partition of same size or close to the size of the partition you are recovering from to direct the output of files recovered.
    The only data you won't be able to retrieve is the data that was overwritten by Windows system files from the installation, and files overwritten by temporary data constantly written when Windows is running. This should tell you to avoid using Windows to maximize the amount of recoverable data.