Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a total newbie to linux...I have installed ubuntu and now it took me to grub..now what do I do...I am duo booted with xp pro and my disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink I am a newbie

I am a total newbie to linux...I have installed ubuntu and now it took me to grub..now what do I do...I am duo booted with xp pro and my disk if formatted to fat32..what do type at the "grub"
    Kas
    Ps I have spent my entire life with windows so be kind and gentle with me..go slow I am also a senior

Ummm, getting the grub prompt is not a good thing, you're supposed to get a menu so you can choose if you want to boot Windows or Ubuntu.

I'm not very handy with Grub in a text interface, see the following post, might be able to help.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...tml#post667850

Just Joined!
    I did get a menu during boot and it kicked me into grub and now grub wants me to do something..if this gets to complicated I may have try a simpler linux prog

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Okay, what menu items have you tried? Does this happen no matter what option you choose? Is there a message that accompanies the drop to the grub prompt?

Like I said, this is just odd, it isn't supposed to happen this way. It means something didn't install right.

Just Joined!
    when it goes into grub it gives about 30 commands when you hit tab, i tried some of them and i get some error message..some of cmds are fstest, erial setkey geometry halt help and so forth..it is almost like dos..very comfuseing

Right, I'm talking while the menu is still up, before the drop to the grub prompt.

Just Joined!
    Download iso supergrub Super Grub Disk Webpage: Download
    burn it and boot with it select linux.
    It wil let you see the ubuntu grub and select uption repair.
    this has workt for me in the most cases.
    Have fun

Supergrub should do the job ... you should be able to fix this without Supergrub also ...

If you are dropped straight at a grub prompt when you boot the PC then try typing
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/menu.lst
    if it returns something like (hd0,1)
    type ...
    Code:
    root (hd0,1)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    boot
    ... but replace (hd0,1) with whatever you get returned from the find command. That should bring up the grub menu and allow you to boot Ubuntu. Once you know that works shutdown the system and restart it ... this time at the grub prompt type ...
    Code:
    root (hd0,1)
    setup (hd0)
    reboot
    ... replace (hd0,1) with the output from the find command. You should get the menu ...

Just Joined!
    OK guys and gals...I will not let this thing beat me...so what I did was go into the pc and take out one of the 2 disk that were slaved and just use one drive...then I stuffed a dos disk in there and did a fdisk so all I had was one partition...did format c: and reinstalled xubuntu and every thing started to work..thanks for all of your efforts..I did the super grub disk and I do have ready to go should I need it in the future...when I tot the prog to work and I down loaded all of the new files(all 170 of them I think, at least there were a lot of them) and now I am exploring the world of linux and to tell you I feel like I am on a differnt planet...I have been with ms all these years...I do have many questions to ask, you have not heard the last of me...
    Kas

Glad your sorted ... keep hold of the SuperGrub disk it is handy to have for Linux and Windows boot problems ... and enjoy Linux