Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried reinstalling a better driver for my laptop the other night so that I could get a better frame rate while playing C&C Renegade. I was only getting 10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Driver

I tried reinstalling a better driver for my laptop the other night so that I could get a better frame rate while playing C&C Renegade. I was only getting 10 FPS and my ping was insanely high. So I went about installing a new driver and when it rebooted it started up in low graphics mode, asking to switch the driver. I tried everything I could, but nothing seemed to work. Right now, I get the boot screen and login screen and it looks normal, but once I log in, it flashes my background like its loading without a problem, but then it goes to a white screen. I can see my mouse on the screen though, and I know everything is working behind the white screen, because I can click stuff and can see my CPU LED blink, and I can use my desktop cube when I hold CTRL+ALT+(arrow). So I'm officially confused. I'm assuming there has to be some way to restore my driver somehow... BTW, Same thing happens when I boot into Gnome, X script, and Gnome Failsafe. The only thing I can do is boot my Live CD.

Here are my specs:
    Acer Travelmate 2450
    40 GB Hard drive
    CD-RW Drive
    ATI Xpress 200M (up to 128 MB, which is what it's set at)
    Atheros WLAN card

Boot up Ubuntu, press Alt+Ctrl+F1 at Login Screen. It will switch to Command Line login prompt. Login there and execute this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
    exit
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F7 and Alt+Ctrl+Backspace Or reboot machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunetly, that didn't work. IT did, however postpone the white screen a few more seconds though... Is there a way to mayber reload the driver that came on the ubuntu CD? If it helps what I installed was fglrx and fglrx-control, I think. It was either that or the envy versions. But I hope that helps to figure out what I did...

Quote Originally Posted by Infamshxr View Post
    I tried reinstalling a better driver for my laptop the other night so that I could get a better frame rate while playing C&C Renegade. I was only getting 10 FPS and my ping was insanely high.
    I may just be dense here, but are you playing this in WINE? If so, do you have framerate problems in any other WINE games?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yea, I was using wine. That's the only game I had for wine