Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried the 'Alternate CD Xubuntu 8.04' tonight after trying Dapper, Hardy, Ibex, Mint, Freespire 1 & 2. I used to be able to run Dapper quite well but, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Alternate CD blues

I tried the 'Alternate CD Xubuntu 8.04' tonight after trying Dapper, Hardy, Ibex, Mint, Freespire 1 & 2. I used to be able to run Dapper quite well but, it always felt limited and whenever I tried to upgrade there would be persistent conflicts with booting through to the desktop with constant stalling some ways into the boot. I put this down to the poor graphics support when trying to install proper as opposed to using the live cd which gave me no problems but, was almost useless for working with.
    Again I am typing this in Windows XP which I don't have any install problems with whatsoever as I currently have no Linux to work with as it simply will not install anymore.
    I downloaded and ran the Alternate Xubuntu 8.04 version and it halted at something to do with a driver for the cdrom 3.20 - whatever that means. I rebooted and it halted almost immediately into the boot after the menu and I was left with a blank screen. I rebooted and the same thing happened - strange indeed. Looks like my Linux days with this laptop are over and I will have to wait till I get a new machine to have some real satisfaction. Thanks again for your input guys but I have not had any usefull help. Not your fault as I am sure there is something seriously wrong with the old machine that Windows can live with but, not Linux. For interest it is an Acer Travelmate 630 (circa 2001) with 1.7GHz pentium 4 mobile processor and 512Mb ram. Nothing fancy about the NVidia GeForce 2 Go graphics card with only 16Mb memory.
    I will read any replies to post with interest but, I won't bother trying anything more as I am really fed-up with the whole situation at the moment especially the install proper of several versions of Ubuntu not completing to load after what seems like a successful install. That really needs some serious work. It is grossly unfair to expect people that are newbies to Linux to be able to get out of trouble after seeing what looks like a perfect alternative to Windows from the LiveCDs.. That's it. So long for now and I look forward to getting back into Linux later in the year... Cheers.

ook forward to getting back into Linux later in the year... Cheers.
    Kudos for trying there Dougal. I'm a firm believer that choice is all that matters. Whatever works for you is OK by me. Hope to see you around the forums anyhows. Good Luck dude.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home