Find the answer to your Linux question:
Fun times! I had just created a new user on my laptop with the Manage Users and Groups tool. I gave it a name and pass, and took defaults on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

"GDM user does not exist"; I can't log in

Fun times!

I had just created a new user on my laptop with the Manage Users and Groups tool. I gave it a name and pass, and took defaults on everything else.

Then I logged out and tried to log in as that user, but I got an Invalid User error. Logged back in as myself and went back to Manage Users and Groups. Now it was lagging and locking up. When it came up, I noticed that my name wasn't listed in the box, and I'm pretty sure it was before.

I rebooted, and when I came back up, this is what I got:

I had to boot up with a Fedora Live CD because the Ubuntu live CD hangs (the CD boots fine on my other computer). My /etc/gdm folder doesn't have most of the files that the Ubuntu install on my desktop does and there is no gdm.conf file.

Does Ubuntu keep backups of this stuff anywhere by chance? I appreciate any suggestions. This one has me a bit worried.

By the way the threads I've found on this always involved editing the gdm.conf file, which I don't have. Once someone says that their name wasn't on the sudoers list, the posts tend to stop.

If it's the worst, I at least want to retrieve my files, first. But I can't seem to be able to run Nautilus as root from either Fedora 10 or openSUSE 11 live CD's.

They both give me this error:

Code:
    (nautilus:3929): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
      Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

I tried Mandriva, too, and it doesn't even want to load because it can't start my X server. At this point I just want to get my files out of there, but I can't get some of the stuff from home without root access, and the live CDs aren't letting me use root for file browsing. This sucks so much.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The only way that I was able to access my files as root was the Ubuntu live CD booted in safe mode. I successfully copied my important stuff using the command line and I'm very proud of this!

I also copied my /etc/gdm folder and it turns out that all the files that should be in there, are in there. Comparing them to the /etc/gdm on my desktop with the same Ubuntu install, the only difference I see is the custom file that has my custom greeting in it for the login screen. So whatever the problem is, it's not in the gdm folder, at least probably not.

I tried replacing the laptop's gdm folder with the gdm folder from my desktop, but there was no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Artesia View Post
    Fun times!

I had just created a new user on my laptop with the Manage Users and Groups tool. I gave it a name and pass, and took defaults on everything else.

Then I logged out and tried to log in as that user, but I got an Invalid User error. Logged back in as myself and went back to Manage Users and Groups. Now it was lagging and locking up. When it came up, I noticed that my name wasn't listed in the box, and I'm pretty sure it was before.
    May be your '/etc/group' file (and probably '/etc/password' too) is missing or corrupt. Try copying it from your desktop and edit user names as required. Check on ownership of user accounts (ls -l /home).
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Hi saivin, thank you for responding. I did this, and also copied over passwd-, group-, gshadow, gshadow-, and sudoers.

No editing of names needed, I use the same username and pw as on the desktop.

I am listed as the owner of my home folder, too.

I still get the same result as shown in my screenshots above. The only change is that now the Ubuntu live CD boots in full graphic mode, which is definitely an improvement.

oops, maybe not. When I did ls -l, it had my name on it. But in the live CD, the properties shows "1000" as the owner and I'm not even on the list so I can't change it to my name. Digging into this...

Maybe something reset, because when I checked my group file, it was back to no usernames showing in it. I again copied this and passwd from my desktop.

Now it booted into the graphical login, except that it's not excepting keyboard or mouse inputs. I can go to command line and log in there, and when I do my prompt is

I have no name!@leo:$

I also had errors on bootup saying that a couple of special devices were not found. It displayed UUID's for a couple of partitions on my removable drive. When I rebooted with it plugged in the errors didn't show, but the files I copied over didn't have anything in them with mounting info on that drive, so I have no idea where that came from.

I'm getting pretty close to giving up and reinstalling Ubuntu. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by Artesia View Post
    I'm getting pretty close to giving up and reinstalling Ubuntu. Argh.

I would, this is more trouble than it's worth unless you just feel like getting to the root of the problem.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Once that keyboard issue popped up, that was a whole new monster and I wasn't up for it. I just wish I knew what caused this, because I have created users in Ubuntu before and it was a piece of cake.

Still, this was useful because I learned a lot and had a crash course in using CLI. I dabbled in it before but this experience made me more comfortable with it. And I'm really liking this "everything is a text file" business.

Also as a result of this I decided to make me a USB stick with an Ubuntu install on it. The Live CD's are lifesavers but it would be really nice to have a full install on hand.

Okee, I'm done.