Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Standard means..the one having TRS Connectors and analoge speakers and mic....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Standard means..the one having TRS Connectors and analoge speakers and mic.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

I have same problem too.

Open skype...
    In options..
    Click Audio
    Change the device combinations until your mic get worked!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What do you mean by "standard headset"? Is it USB, connected directly to your audio card, bluetooth, infrared wireless, other wireless? Without more information, we cannot really help you much. The make, model, and how connected to the system are minimal data points.
    It's a headset manufactured by Creative and it's directly connected to the sound card with two plugs (mic and phone)
    Leevi

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
    It's a headset manufactured by Creative and it's directly connected to the sound card with two plugs (mic and phone)
    Leevi
    Thanks. Just wanted to make sure. Which mixer are you using? You say you are running Ubuntu 8.10, so I assume you are using the gnome mixer that is on your desktop? I am running a KDE desktop on CentOS and the KDE mixer, KMix, has a tab for input settings on three inputs, including line-in. For output, it has a separate control for the mic. What does the gnome mixer have for input/output controls?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I was not using any mixer butI installed gnome Alsa mixer. When I do some settings there the headset speakers stop working with "pulse" settings. I tested the physical connections on the Windows side and they worked there i.e. the cabling is OK,
    /Leevi

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
    I was not using any mixer butI installed gnome Alsa mixer. When I do some settings there the headset speakers stop working with "pulse" settings. I tested the physical connections on the Windows side and they worked there i.e. the cabling is OK,
    /Leevi
    I've been sticking with ALSA instead of Pulse audio support. But then I'm running on CentOS/RHEL which is a bit behind the current bleeding edge.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    If I select something else than pulse the skype echo call works in very restricted way. I can hear the tone only from the left speaker or I cannot hear tone at all. "Default device", "hdmi", "headset" do not work at all, hw:CA0106,0 gives tone to the left speaker, plughw:CA0106,0 gives sound to both speakers but when I call echo I get a message: "Problems with audio capture"
    Leevi

So your mic is just not working with skype and works with anyother application. X_X?
    You haven't cross checked the mic is working or not?
    You are using multiple mixers, you not sure about volume and capture control.

What kind of troubleshooting procedure is this?
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!

Cool Same problem solved in Ubuntu 10.10

i have had this problem, and presumed it was a driver issue. The headphones worked with Ubuntu10.10/Skype (and with Vista) but not the headphones. As outlined in the answer earlier "perered" the simple answer was to go System/Preferences/Sound/Input and uncheck the mute check box which is muted by default, for some reason....!

Can someone at Ubuntu explain why it is default det this way, and change it for the next release...i notice this has been causing problems for several release now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2