Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
If Firefox is doing all manner of strange things; running really slowly on some sites, keeping session cookies on others and so on a really simple fix seems to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

A Firefox thing for users of 9.04 (and for all I know other releases)

If Firefox is doing all manner of strange things; running really slowly on some sites, keeping session cookies on others and so on a really simple fix seems to be to disable the Ubuntu expansion add on.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    If Firefox is doing all manner of strange things; running really slowly on some sites, keeping session cookies on others and so on a really simple fix seems to be to disable the Ubuntu expansion add on.
    Interesting. The worst site for me on Ubuntu was IMDB.com. It would freeze while I scrolled up and down a page and then jump to catch up. Very annoying. I ended up changing my CPU scaling setting to full-power all the time ("performance") but it didn't completely fix it. I'll have to try that method.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Let me know how it goes.

For me it fixed one of my internet banking sites and a weird log in problem where I either had to shut Firefox or delete a php session cookie
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Educate me. What is the Ubuntu expansion add-on for Firefox?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Educate me. What is the Ubuntu expansion add-on for Firefox?
    That's a good question. I was never clear on it myself. I know it's called ubufox. According to this, it's mostly just cosmetic things, and a couple of additions like giving it hooks into apt for stuff like the flash plug-in:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/024137.html
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    That's a good question. I was never clear on it myself. I know it's called ubufox. According to this, it's mostly just cosmetic things, and a couple of additions like giving it hooks into apt for stuff like the flash plug-in:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/024137.html
    Thanks for the link. I just recently installed 9.04 on my laptop and haven't had the time to investigate this stuff much. Most of my work is on my CentOS desktop.

Just wanted to mention that disabling the Ubuntu Firefox extension did give me a marked increase in performance. I'm not sure why, but it worked for me.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Just wanted to mention that disabling the Ubuntu Firefox extension did give me a marked increase in performance. I'm not sure why, but it worked for me.
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that some software component that "doesn't do much", does a whole lot of not much! One of the worst things that a lot of these add-ins do is to touch some web site for information (or just calling home), and since it is getting hits from all the installed instances of that plugin, the site starts responding slowly, resulting in a very slow experience with the browser. A good browser profiler would be a really nice extension, if you ask me.

But then you would need a profiler profiler to make sure the profiler wasn't causing the problems you're profiling!

I'm going for a lie down after I reply to techieMoe to say I can't see anything in what it is *supposed* to do that would cause the slowdowns either
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    But then you would need a profiler profiler to make sure the profiler wasn't causing the problems you're profiling!
    Well, profilers DO impact performance, and often drastically. However, that is not a problem (usually) because they would be looking at low-level stuff like how much time is spent waiting for network replies, what percentage of time is spent processing html, java scripts, and stuff like that. If the profiler shows something is taking a larger percentage of time than seems reasonable, then that can be investigated further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast