Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well my new ubuntu install is going pretty good! However, I have come to one hic-up. I cannot get sound to play with Amarok. I can however, get it to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant get sound with amarok

Well my new ubuntu install is going pretty good!

However, I have come to one hic-up. I cannot get sound to play with Amarok. I can however, get it to play through "Totem Movie Player", so I know the sound card works (I also get the ubuntu start-up sounds)

Is there something special I need to do when installing Amarok to get the sound to work as well?

Are you trying to play mp3's or something similar? If so, read on...

Amarok sometimes tries to use different codecs than the rest of the Ubuntu (specifically, Gnome) applications. First, make sure you have all the "gstreamer" codecs installed (you can find them in "Applications > Add/Remove"), or at least the ones that it will let you, and then, if possible, and if there are any or your system, make sure you install all the "xine" codecs.
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Just Joined!
    ok I am trying to install all the extra "gstream" stuff. I will then re-install amarok and see if that makes a difference. Let you know soon. thank you for your help

Just Joined!
    ok I have installed all the "gstreamer" stuff that I think I can install through Add/Remove programs but still no luck. I did catch a quick glimpse of the error message "device HDA nvidia" blah blah blah does not work. Reverting back to "default"

What am I doing wrong? I have sound working on everything else...

I got this problem last night on my Dad's PC. The funny thing is that he has the same hardware and software as me but I'm not experiencing the problem.

Long story short: install phonon-backend-xine and you should be back up and running. Don't forget to restart Amarok after you install it

Just Joined!
    where can i find "phonon-backend-xine" to download and install? I cant find it on Add/Remove Programs!

just run "sudo apt-get install <app name>" without the quotes in the terminal

in this case, <app name> is "phonon-backend-xine"

Add/Remove is for whole applications with "real names", where as synaptic package manager ( in "system > Administration") allows you to install any few libraries or any random thing by it's "code name", I call it....
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

Just Joined!
    with the "app-get" program, is there a package list that you can browse via the internet, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by swooshonln View Post
    with the "app-get" program, is there a package list that you can browse via the internet, etc?
    Yes - you can run "sudo aptitude", or, for a more beginner-friendly tool, try "gksudo synaptic"

Just Joined!
    "The Audio Playback device "HDA NVIDIA ..." does not work, reverting back to default"

I am still getting that error after installing the phonon-backend-xine and then reinstalling amarok. What is going on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast