Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a dual boot system with Winxp and Ubuntu Hardy. Since a recent Windows update on my WinXP I come as far as Windows logo and then it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

suspected grub/mbr problem

Hi, I have a dual boot system with Winxp and Ubuntu Hardy. Since a recent Windows update on my WinXP I come as far as Windows logo and then it restarts. Question is do I have an MBR issue here and can it be repaired through Linux? I can still contact Winxp folders through Hardy (which still boots normally) but I need both systems up and running for print requirements. Any help greatly appreciated.

If Windows OS and Linux are booting up then its not a MBR Problem. Problem is with Windows OS only. It looks like Windows Update has messed Windows OS. Try to boot up in Windows Safe Mode.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Safe mode does the same thing, just causes restart. With windows only booting to the logo, does this tell me for certain that I don't have an MBR problem? I thought I might have a chance of fixing this with a "Super-Grub" CD or similar

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Its not a GRUB problem at all and supergrub CD won't help. GRUB is loading Windows OS Boot Loader correctly and problem is with Windows OS only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

That's helpful, thank you. Currently considering fresh install of Winxp on original partition. but I've read elsewhere that in so doing, I'll have to reinstall GRUB. Have you any information on this please? I really can't afford to mess up both systems.

There should be some form of repair option on your Ubuntu CD. Or you could burn a copy of Super GRUB CD to re-install GRUB.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.