Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I have to install openoffice.org java-common-package according to Openoffice 3 to enable me to work with html. I can't for the life of me get the java common ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't seem to get straightforward Java install

Hi guys, I have to install openoffice.org java-common-package according to Openoffice 3 to enable me to work with html. I can't for the life of me get the java common package installed.
    I just tried an install from Mediakey - Open Source, PHP, Java, SEO, Content Management, MySQL, Virtuel Hosting, Joomla, Linux, Internet Marketing as follows along with the resulting report in Terminal;
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-fontsReading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package sun-java6-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package sun-java6-jre has no installation candidate

Also, when I try to add a repository such as UNI•C jaunty the Software Source 'add' in option just sits there as if I haven't completed the source path - which I probably havne't but, I don't know enough about the correct path to correct the mistake/s.
    Your help as always is gratefully received.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You should get the Sun Java environment as well as many other useful codecs, fonts etc by installing (k|x)ubuntu-restricted-extras from the repository

So for Ubuntu, open a terminal and execute "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" (without the quotes)
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent