Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'd like to thank anyone who can even attempt to help me with this. There are a lot of posts addressing this issue, though none have been able to fix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation [SOLVED] GRUB Erorrs 17/22

I'd like to thank anyone who can even attempt to help me with this. There are a lot of posts addressing this issue, though none have been able to fix it for me.

A few weeks ago I installed open-suse and found it very annoying to use, mostly because I could not establish an internet connection. I really did not want to give up on Linux so when I saw the new Ubuntu notebook distro I downloaded it. Realizing that I should get rid of the Open-Suse partitions first I removed them with Vista, without realizing that I didn't deal with GRUB. When I rebooted to install Ubuntu, GRUB gave me error 22 (though it jumps back from 17 and 22.) I changed my boot order with BIOS so that I could get into the Ubuntu setup, but the console would not work (as it was merely the trial.) I installed Ubuntu but cannot access it other than via my flash drive (which brings me to the pre-installer that opened originally.)

Now some of the solutions I read involved getting Vista/Ubuntu boot disks. I do not have any Vista boot disks, as it came preinstalled, and I cannot find any online. When I use the flash drive that contains Ubuntu I get the problem encountered above. Basically I'm at a loss and really need my laptop tonight and should not have fooled around so carelessly.

I really don't want to have this detract from my trying of Linux, as this was my own fault, but I can't try it if I can't boot it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    P.S. I tried supergrubdisk and it does not seem to work, as it boots normally (despite making BIOS book from CDROM first) and I still get error 17.

EDIT: Nevermind, I mounted supergrub as a data cd instead of as an image

I think I have it under control now, thanks to the forums. Keep up the good work, guys.

Linux User
    GRUB error 17 means it doesn't recognize filesystem, 22 means no such partition. Google is your friend. GRUB Manual - Error messages reported by GRUB
    Stage2 errors - GNU GRUB Manual 0.97
    Registered Linux User #420832

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I understood the error and read the fixes, it's just that none of them worked.

Or so I thought. It's all sewn up now.

Linux User
    Glad to hear it. I hope you enjoy your experiences despite the hurdles along the way.
    Registered Linux User #420832