Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm currently running ubuntu 9.04 with two monitors. In WinXP I'm using UltraMon to manage the dual monitors but I do not know how to do that with Ubuntu. How ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Dual monitor setup

I'm currently running ubuntu 9.04 with two monitors. In WinXP I'm using UltraMon to manage the dual monitors but I do not know how to do that with Ubuntu.

How do I set it so that it boots up with my external as my Primary?

Also each time I start up my external, I realized that I can actually move my mouse below the screen. As in there's no boundary. Apparently it's because my external monitor is larger than my laptop's monitor and its boundary is fixed.

Oh, when I try to save to xorg.conf it says that "Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'.

what kind of graphics card do you have?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    nVidia 8600GT. Using the X Desktop or something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Press Alt + F2 and type "gksu nvidia-settings" (without the quotes). Click run.

Configure your monitors in there and because you have used gksu you will be able to save the file.

You may need to install the drivers first by using System->Administration ->Hardware Drivers
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

you may also need to install nvidia-settings, go into your package manager and look it up and it's really easy to use...configuring X manually can be a pain
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Yay! I managed to save it! Thanks!

Now my next Dual Monitor problem! My mouse can go "below" the monitor boundary for my 15inch screen. Because the resolution for both the screens are different, apparently there's an extra area beneath my screen.