Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is just a...random rant... This is the first time in two and half years of using Ubuntu that I've had to decide to downgrade, pretty disappointed that there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Downgrading :(

This is just a...random rant...

This is the first time in two and half years of using Ubuntu that I've had to decide to downgrade, pretty disappointed that there are so many bugs in a final release, especially the more irritating bugs such as:

after alt+tabing I can't type sometimes (I've posted about this before), after a clean install problem still persists, I alt+tab a lot so not being able to type without minimizing my window is irritating

compiz + jaunty issue of assigning a key to bring up a terminal. The bug has been confirmed but if there is a fix, it wasn't put out with the release and requires tampering (usually I'd be okay with this but coupled with the other issues I see no point in wasting time)

nvidia card with twinview - with every prior release nvidia-settings worked flawlessly with twinview. Now the biggest issue is that when I fullscreen something it takes up both screens (such as a movie), when I am trying to work on one monitor and run a movie on another one I can't fullscreen because if I do it takes up both screens. I never have had this issue with a prior release

I guess there is a first time for everything. I'm downgrading my system as well as my girlfriends because of the known intel graphics problem (I've read the wiki's about why they chose the driver but....a final release of an OS should NOT contain beta/experimental drivers that freeze up a computer set as a default)
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    OK how do I downgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 from 9.04 Newbie Here. Iam under the Freeze ,

thx

Jim

reinstall from scratch, backup your home folder

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

yup a lot of bugs are there in the Jaunty Jackelope final release, i am currently using 8.10 and it works like charm
    Dual Booting Ubuntu 10.04, Windows 7

Toshiba Satellite A200-1M5, Duo Core 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gigs RAM, 256 Intel Card

You are registered Linux user number 490788
    Happy Linuxing

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS may not be the latest and Greatest but then neither is my Hardware, No hiccups for a very long time now. And I have experimented with different Desktops to. Sorry to hear about your Troubles jmadero.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thank rokytnji, I would honestly recommend 8.10 to anyone, I think it's extremely stable. I liked some of the new stuff in 9.04 (such as ext4 support, SO FAST and their black theme for some stuff), but yeah if you ever get some spare time I'd suggest trying out Intrepid, I've never had an issue with it and my network/wireless support has gone way up over Hardy. Also boot time is faster than Hardy and a few other good upgrades